Summary: Much of God’s wisdom can be found in the book of Proverbs. Two subjects covered are: 1- Hard work 2- Drinking and drunkenness.
INTRO.- Proverbial wisdom. I want to share some of God’s wisdom from the book of Proverbs, but first let me share some good quips and quotes or words of wisdom from man.
- It’s all right to be dumb, but it’s stupid to make a career out of it.
- Ignorance is not the problem. It is not knowing when we are ignorant that causes the difficulty.
- Some girls can’t take a joke, but others prefer one to no husband at all.
- Any man who correctly guesses a woman’s age may be smart - but he’s not very bright.
- When a man sees eye-to-eye with his wife, it’s a sure indication that his vision has been corrected.
- A woman’s work is never done, especially if she asks her husband to do it.
- A henpecked husband washes the dishes - even when they use paper plates.
- A bath mat is a little rug that children like to stand beside.
- When you see some people work, you wonder what they’ll do when they retire!
- The best cure for a short temper is a lengthened prayer life.
- A gossip is one who can turn an earful into a mouthful.
- The trouble with square meals is that they make you round.
- A hair in the head is worth two in the brush.
- It would be a lot easier to lose weight and keep it off it the replacement parts weren’t so available in the refrigerator.
- The man who rolls up his sleeves seldom loses his shirt.
- When your education is finished, you are.
- In the old days a man who saved money was a miser; nowadays he’s a wonder.
- Teenage boys will drive anything - except a lawnmower.
- It’s surprising how often people will agree with you if you just keep your mouth shut.
- An old southern gentleman has a simple philosophy. Fill what’s empty, empty what’s full, and scratch where it itches.
- Many people carefully avoid discovering the secret of success because deep down they suspect the secret may be hard work.
- Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions.
- Unless you have never been tempted, don’t pass judgment on someone who has yielded.
- Many people think they have an open mind, when it’s really their mouth.
- Many people are not exactly stingy - they’re just economical in a very obnoxious way.
PROP.- There is all kind of wisdom being dished out in this world and by this world. But the greatest and best wisdom available comes from God and His Word.
I. HARD WORK
Prov. 14:23 “All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.”
ILL.- Employer to Job seeker: How long did you work at your other job?
Job seeker: Fifty-five years.
Employer: How old are you?
Job seeker: Forty-five years old.
Employer: How could you work 55 years when you are only 45 years old?
Job seeker: Overtime.
The sad truth is many people are not interested in working overtime and some are not interested in working any time!
II Thess. 3:6-10 “In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: ‘If a man will not work, he shall not eat.’”
That was a rule from God through the apostle Paul given to Christians in his day, but it is not a rule followed by all people today.
DID YOU KNOW THAT LAZINESS CAN KILL YOU?
ILL.- I read an article last week entitled, “Lazy Lifestyle Can Fry Couch Potatoes.” Health Group Warns of the Rising Toll of ’Sedentary Death Syndrome’ May 29, 2001 (Washington) -- Warning: Doing nothing could be hazardous to your health. Laziness can be hazardous to your health.
In fact, according to a group of health experts, if all you do is sit around without getting much physical activity, your lifestyle could actually kill you, by creating a condition they’re calling sedentary death syndrome, or SeDS.
"Physical inactivity, which can start during childhood, can lead to a wide range of diseases that, coupled with a poor diet, kill a quarter-million people every year, " says Frank Booth, PhD, a physiology professor at the University of Missouri in Columbia and founder of the group Researchers Against SeDS. It’s estimated that conditions like obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease are all on the increase because of SeDS.