Summary: God’s wisdom is revealed in the book of Proverbs.
INTRO.- Once again, I want to begin with non-Proverbs, proverbial sayings.
- After three days without reading, talk becomes flavorless. Chinese proverb
- An open enemy is better than a false friend. Greek Proverb
- The best answer to anger is silence. German Proverb
- A bit of fragrance always sticks to the hand that gives you roses. Chinese Proverb
- Do not lengthen the quarrel while there is an opportunity of escaping. Latin Proverb
- Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day. Polish Proverb
- First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. Japanese Proverb
- God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers. Jewish Proverb
- God will be present, whether asked or not. Latin Proverb
- If you are patient in a moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow. Chinese Proverb
- If you would live healthy, be old early. Spanish Proverb
- It is easier to pull down than to build up. Latin Proverb
- It is the part of a good shepherd to shear his flock, not to skin it. Latin Proverb
(I had to laugh about this one because I’ve always heard it said that the preacher’s job was to shake ‘em in, shake ‘em up, and shake ‘em out, but never shake ‘em down.)
- Judge not the horse by his saddle. Chinese Proverb
- Live with wolves, and you learn to howl. Spanish Proverb
- Love and eggs are best when they are fresh. Russian Proverb
- A man who chases two rabbits catches none. Roman Proverb
- Nature, time and patience are the three great physicians. Chinese Proverb
- Never squat with your spurs on. Texan Proverb
- Never write a letter while you are angry. Chinese Proverb
Now for some more non-proverbs, proverbial sayings from some American writers.
- They can talk all they want about being over the hill. It still beats being under it. (that is, unless you’re in heaven)
- The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, sidestepping responsibility, dodging issues, passing the buck, and pressing their luck.
- Will Rogers said, “America has gone through three stages: the passing of the Indian, the passing of the buffalo, and the passing of the buck.”
- Temper gets most people into trouble and pride keeps them there.
- Part-time faith like a part-time job will not fully support you.
- Some people never get interested in anything until it is none of their business.
- A vacation from God can be a grave affair.
- You quickly lose interest in the church if you have nothing invested.
- The only state that permits a woman to work more than eight hours a day is the state of matrimony.
- The farmer doesn’t go to work. He wakes up every morning surrounded by it.
- Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.
- Laughter is the shock absorber that softens and minimizes the bumps of life.
- By improving yourself the world is made better.
- Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.
- Some people think God is like medicine: you do not need Him when you are well.
- Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it.