Summary: The Valley of the shadow
Psalm 23 part II. Sun 25 Aug 2002 am
A Modern Version of the 23rd Psalm by a Japanese writer
The Lord is my Pacesetter - I shall not rush.
He makes me stop for quiet intervals,
He provides me with images of stillness which restore my serenity,
He leads me in ways of efficiency through calmness of mind,
And his guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things to accomplish each day, I will not fret,
For His Presence is here,
His timelessness, His all importance, will keep me in balance
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity,
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity
My cup of joyous energy overflows.
Truly harmony and effectiveness shall be the fruits of my hours,
For I shall walk in the Pace of my Lord
And dwell in His House for ever.
A couple of weeks ago we looked at
- shepherding. Still waters. Guidance. Peace
This morning I want to look at
1) The Soul
“He restores my soul”
- there’s a few images, here
a) sheep by water
- led to the water by the shepherd
- lying down in green pastures
X= the wool advert with Pachabel’s canon playing in background
- all fat and fleecy. Clean
Have you seen sheep in Israel?
- sometimes hard to tell if sheep or straggly goat
- can see why I’m not a farmer
Well: this is the picture of the straggly Mediterranean/middle east sheep being restored
- becoming fat and fluffy
- we are in danger of thinking this is only ‘within’. And to us the use of word ‘soul’ justifies this. (and is true. Peace within = most impt)
- but that wasn’t their understanding in OT
- they actually focussed a lot on the ‘outside’, material, here and now
- as very little understanding of afterlife or ‘soul’/spirit
- “if you’re gonna bless me… bless me materially, now, HERE” Make me fat and fluffy!
- Cf: note, Job’s reward was all material
The reward came here and now, and it was physical.
Now- the NT DOES give us a fuller perspective. It’s THEREAFTER that the scales are balanced. And God is very concerned about saving our spirits
- but the approach of the Bible in general is NOT to separate soul, body and spirit
- WE do. ‘it’s inside that matters’, and we follow the Gk culture in doing so
But HERE there is no separation. ‘Soul’ refers to the WHOLE being
- = ‘He restores ME’. Body, mind and spirit
- = a sense of complete wellbeing
- it shows God’s concern for you as a whole being
- God is concerned about your physical health, job, mental state, soul, spiritual life. You
- The hairs on your head. The money in your pocket
- He wants to be helper and Lord of both… ALL
In your journey with Him there WILL be times when He restores you. And you feel fat and fluffy in SO many ways
b) Sheep around the neck
There’s another image of restoration, here
- it’s the shepherd rescuing and restoring the lost sheep
- prodigal sheep style. The sheep who got itself into a state in the brambles of life
- it’s restoration to HIMSELF (the shepherd, the Lord) and the flock (the fold, the body of Christ) rather than within self
- Illustr: Pete Turner (now works for Vis a Vis). Cameraman on Highlander films. Describes how God ‘let him fall’ like a runaway train…and followed him to catch him, and return him