Summary: Showing the Names of God in Psalms 23
Theme: The Lord is My Shepherd
Text: Psalm 23
Psa 23:1-6 A Psalm of David.
The LORD (Jehovah) is my shepherd; MY SHEPHERD Jehovah-ra-ah I shall not want. MY PROVIDER Jehovah-jireh
When the Lord is your shepherd you have everything you need or will ever need.
(2) He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. MY COMFORTER Jehovah-Shalom
There is a peace that comes when you know it is all in his hands. Laying at his feet
(3) He restoreth my soul: (renews my spirit) Ps 51:10“create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me) he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. MY SAVIOR Jehovah-tsidkenu tsid-kay’-noo (to a place of salvation) “If we confess our sins he is faithful to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness)
Not only does he take care of the physical needs but also the spiritual needs. He is our salvation. Through Christ he is our way to eternal life.
(4) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, (even though I feel like I am knocking on deaths door) I will fear no evil for thou art with me; MY EVER PRESENT HELP Jehovah-shammad (the Lord is present) thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. MY PROTECTOR
2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Notice even in time of death he is there with us. He doesn’t forsake us.
(5) Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: MY AVENGER thou anointest my head with oil; MY HEALER Jehovah-rapha my cup runneth over.
Through daily life, whether it is with our enemies he will send his Holy Spirit to lead and guide us. Not only full but running, bubbling over.
(6) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. MY REFUGE Jehovah-nissi (the Lord our banner)
The Lord is our refuge. When we put our trust in him we will see his goodness and his mercy in our lives. Our joy will be to be in his presence in his house forever.
Other Names of God
1. Jehovah / YHWH
o Genesis 2:4: When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens ....
2. Jehovah-Jireh, "The Lord will provide"
o Genesis 22:14: So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided.”
3. Jehovah-Maccaddeshem, "The Lord your sanctifier"
o Exodus 31:13: “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.’"
4. Jehovah-Nissi, "The Lord our banner"
o Exodus 17:15: Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner.
5. Jehovah-Rapha, "The Lord our healer"
o Exodus 15:26: He said, “If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you.”
6. Jehovah-Rohi, "The Lord my shepherd"
o Psalm 23:1: The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
7. Jehovah-Sabbaoth, "The Lord of Hosts"
o Isaiah 6:1-3: In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”
8. Jehovah-Shalom, "The Lord is peace"
o Judges 6:24: So Gideon built an altar to the LORD there and called it The LORD is Peace. To this day it stands in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
9. Jehovah-Shammah, "The Lord who is present"
o Ezekiel 48:35: “The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits. ¶ “And the name of the city from that time on will be: THE LORD IS THERE.”
10. Jehovah-Tsidkenu, "The Lord our righteousness"
o Jeremiah 23:6: In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The LORD Our Righteousness.