Summary: Thanksgiving is a time for 1. Relationships 2. Rejoicing 3. Reflecting 3. Restoring 5. Remembering
Psalm 100:1-5The Message
A Thanksgiving Psalm
100 1 All of you, up on your feet now
—Shout & applaud for the lord!
2 Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.
3 Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn’t make him.
We’re his people, his well-tended sheep.
4 Enter with the password: “Thank you!”
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.
5 For God is sheer beauty,
all-generous in love,
loyal always and ever.
- 1611 KJV was published
- 9 yr. Later Puritans broke away from the church of England’s persecution
- Pilgrims left England to worship freely
- Teaching their children to read from the Bible
- Dec 21 1620 - 102 people landed at Plymouth Rock after 65 day journey
- During the winter 51 died
- March 1621 Squanto arrived & taught the Pilgrims how to tap maple trees, plant corn with fish & ID good & poisonous plants
- William Bradford declared 3 days of Thanksgiving after a successful harvest
- Now they were responding to scripture
- 200 years later (1863) Abraham Lincoln set aside the last Thursday for thanksgiving
- David’s Problems - Reasons not to give thanks
- Forgotten by his family
- Lonely shepherd
- Lions & bears
- Three times Saul threw a javelin
- His best friend Jonathan leaves him on his own
- Saul took an army to find him
- David in the Achish (enemies) court
- Home destroyed Wives taken & His own men talked of stoning him
- Guilt of adultery & murder
- Denied the right to build the temple
- Amnon is murdered by Absalom
- Son Absalom takes the throne
- Absalom is killed by Abner
- Psalms 93-99 a continuous series that the Lord is King
- Celebrating with rejoicing & song
- Psalm 100 doxology
- A Psalm 100 Praise; or thanksgiving.
- This is the only psalm bearing this precise inscription.
Who God is - Worship
What God has done - Praise
What God has done for you - Thanksgiving
- Ps 100 is thought to be a Psalm of David
— His Psalms break out with a shout of Thanksgiving
• Thanksgiving like Love is not a holiday, It is a WAY of LIFE
Seven Commands to Praise
1. Make a joyful noise – Be Enthusiastic
2. Serve the Lord with gladness – Be In Celebration
3. Come before his presence with singing – Release the joy with song.
4. Know ye that the Lord, he is God – Be informed
5. Enter with Thanksgiving & praise – Demonstrate appreciation with thoughts, words & action
6. Be thankful unto him – Continually practice gratitude.
7. Bless his name – Honor Him with your life.
Seven Reasons for Praise.
1. v.3 - He is God.
2. v.3 - He made us
3. v.3 - We are his people; therefore, he is our God
4. v.3 - We are his sheep; therefore, he is our shepherd.
5. v. 5 - The Lord is Good.
6. v. 5 - His mercy is everlasting
7. v. 5 - His truth endures to all generations.
Thanksgiving is a time for:
1. Relationships v. 1
- Everybody come together
- Relationships form ideas
- Relationships develop values
- Relationships establish lifestyles
2. Rejoicing - v.2
- This is not over vegging out with football
- Note : Israel had 7 days of celebration
- Pilgrims took 3 days
- We have one day
- We who have the most spend the least amount of time ingiving thanks
3. Reflecting - v.3
41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month. 42 Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths: 43 That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
- David Jeremiah - Turning Point
- Dale Carnegie Writes about an exercise to make sure that you never become a thankless person
- Take a sheet of paper
- Make a list of all the good things you have despite all the problems you have
- Then in your mind imagine each one of those things being taken from you
- Imagine what your life be without them
- When you fully realize the emptiness gradually give those things back to yourself one by one
- You will be surprise how much better you feel
- It is impossible to be thankful & negative at the same time