Summary: THE N EED OF A CHRISTIAN IS TO DAILY PUT ON THE FULL AND COMPLETE ARMOR OF GOD IF WE ARE TO BE AN OVERCOMER.
PUTTING ON THE COMPLETE ARMOR OF GOD
-10 "Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of His might.
-11 Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
-12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, -against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
-13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
-14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
-15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
-16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming missiles of the evil one.
-17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT
An elderly preacher is reported to have prayed the following prayer each day: "O Lord, give me a backbone as big as a saw log and ribs like the large timbers under the church floor. Put iron shoes on my feet and galvanized breeches on my body. Give me a rhinoceros hide for skin, and hang up a wagon load of determination in the gable-end of my soul. Help me to sign the contract to fight the devil as long as I've got a tooth, and then gum him until I die."
PUT THE ARMOR ON EACH MORNING
BELT OF TRUTH
- John 8:31-32. "Jesus therefore was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
- John 17:17, "Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth."
BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, FAITH, AND LOVE
- 1 Thes 5:8, "But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation."
FOLLOW RIGHT INSTEAD OF DESIRE
- 1 John 3:19-20, "We shall know by this that we are of the truth, and shall assure our heart before Him, in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart, and knows all things."
WALK IN GOSPEL OF PEACE
- Rom 12:18, "If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. 20 "But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
- 2 Cor 5:18-20, "Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were entreating through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God."