Summary: Series answering questions from the congregation
Sermon Series: “Questioning the Faith”
Sermon #7 “Question about the Virgin Mary”
Text: Luke 1:26-30
OPENING JOKE: “King James Virgin” A ten-year old, who was becoming quite knowledgeable about the Bible because of her grandmother’s teaching, asked her grandmother: "Which Virgin was the mother of Jesus? The Virgin Mary or the King James Virgin?"
REMINDER: Please remember that this series on questions will go on until I run out. As I looked this week I noticed that I am running short. If you have questions, please write them and place them under my door.
INTRODUCTION: Today we are going to talk about one of the most misunderstood characters of the NT; the Virgin Mary.
Question: “What did God find so special about Mary?
Before I answer the question, as I often do, I am going to shift into the mode of teacher and explain some of the false doctrines surrounding the person of Mary.
There is not another Biblical character that is surrounded by such a veneer of anti-Biblical doctrine than the Virgin Mary.
• She is called by some as the ‘Mother of God’, which in a way she is, because she gave birth to Christ, Who Himself is God – But this does not mean that she is eternally existent or that she predates God
• She is also called ‘Queen of Heaven’, to which there is no Biblical standing
• Some have gone as far as saying that God is not a ‘Trinity’ but a ‘Quadrate’ or ‘God in Four Persons’
• With Mary being the ‘fourth’ person of the Godhead
• This is referred to as Marianism (prescribing worship to Mary), and it is a doctrine that is encouraged in most of Catholicism
• This is very popular in the women’s rights movement because it strips God of His masculine pronouns and ‘He’ becomes a ‘She’ or even an ‘It’, depending on your desire
An important point:
- Mary is not divine according to the Scriptures
o She needed a Savior (Romans 3:23 says ‘All have sinned’)
o She was a follower of Christ’s ministry (Almost every scene where we see Christ among His people, we see His mother there)
o She needed to be filled with the Holy Spirit (She was among the 120 in the upper room at Pentecost – Acts 1:14)
- So the main point for us to notice is that whatever it was that made her special, it was not Divinity
o God the Father, Son and Spirit are Divine; But Mary was not
o That is not to say though, that she was not special
o So let’s see what the Scriptures tell about her…
I. She Found “Favor” With God
a. Now what does it mean to find ‘favor with God’?
i. The Word ‘favor’ comes from the Greek word ‘Charis’ and actually means ‘Grace’
ii. But a better understanding of this word ‘favor’ is found in the OT
b. READ: Genesis 4:4 “And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:”
i. The word translated ‘respect’ is the Hebrew word ‘Sha`ah’ and it means “to gaze at, regard, or to behold”
ii. A different rendering may be ‘The Lord showed ‘regard’ for Abel
1. God didn’t just look upon Abel, but He gazed upon him with rapt attention