Summary: A. Are You Sure That You Have Eternal Life? B. Make Sure by Coming in Faith to Christ Today
Questions about Eternal Life
Series on 1 John
A. Life Is Short at Its Longest
1. The psalmist’s conclusion: 70-80 years (Ps. 90:10)
2. Our average life span is still in that range
B. Jesus Came to Offer Something Better
C. Human Questions about Living Forever
A. Where Is Eternal Life Found (v. 11)?
1. The search for eternal life
a. Preserving the body in hope of eternal life
b. Freezing the body in hope of eternal life
c. Good works to gain eternal life
d. Going through religious rituals to gain eternal life
e. All of the above fall short of the goal (Eph. 2:8-9)
2. Eternal life is a gift from God
a. "God has given to us eternal life"
b. ’’The gift of God is eternal life" (Rom. 6:23)
3. Eternal life is found in Jesus ("this life is in His Son")
a. Jesus purchased eternal life for us on the cross
b. Jesus guaranteed eternal life by His resurrection
B. When Does Eternal Life Begin (v. 12)?
1. "He that hath the Son hath life"
a. Eternal life begins when we have the Son
b. Eternal life is then an immediate possession
2. We do not wait until death to receive eternal life
3. How do we get the Son?
b. Upon receiving Christ, we are justified (Rom. 5:1)
c. At that moment we have peace with God (Rom. 5:1
4. To reject Christ is to refuse eternal life
a. "He that hath not the Son of God hath not life"
b. Receive Christ and have eternal life now
C. How Can One Have Assurance of Eternal Life (v. )?
1. This was the purpose of John’s epistle
a. ’’That ye may know that ye have eternal life"
b. John wanted God’s children to be sure
2. John stresses the present possession again
3. Assurance comes from believing promises of eternal life
a. Believe that God keeps His Word
b. Rest on His promise of eternal life
A. Are You Sure That You Have Eternal Life?
B. Make Sure by Coming in Faith to Christ Today