Summary: A word study on "Quietness"
SOME INTRODUCTION QUESTIONS:
1) When was the last time you were quiet for 15 minutes?
2) When was the last time you were in a place and you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet?
3) Would you describe your emotions as orderly or disorderly?
4) Are you able to just sit without the noise of a radio or TV?
5) Does silence bother you?
SOME SCRIPTURE TO HELP US ALONG:
PSALM 131:1-3 quietness is calm in the soul
PROVERBS 1:33 quietness is listening to God
PROVERBS 17:1 quietness is to be desired
ISAIAH 32:16-20: quietness comes from peace and the result of righteousness
LAMENTATIONS 3:25-30 quietness is waiting on God
MARK 4:39 quietness is the opposite of a storm
1 TIMOTHY 2:1-4 quietness is an action on the outside as well
1 PETER 3:3-4 quietness is precious and beautiful to God
SOME POINTS TO TAKE AWAY FROM THESE VERSES:
· To have a quiet spirit, means that one has order and control over their emotions, spirit, and thoughts. Note when Jesus calmed the storm.
· God will come in those quiet moments and often waits (Numbers 9:8) for those times to speak and teach. Only one person can talk at a time and be understood!
· The quietness on the inside will translate to a peaceful existence on the outside.
· Quietness will defend you against certain temptations.