Summary: This is an declaration meant to inform the listener that if salvation is desired, then there is only one path and that is through Jesus Christ.
The Junior Bible Quiz Sermon Series
Quote the verse which declares only Jesus can give us salvation.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12)
Purpose: This is an declaration meant to inform the listener that if salvation is desired, then there is only one path and that is through Jesus Christ.
How I would introduce the topic: I can think of no other religion, or any system of faith, that offers a path to salvation that can be lived in this life. The best the others have to offer is a way to cope with life instead of being saved from it's bondages. A hope that comes only after death is not a real hope at all. Jesus Christ came to save you as you live this life. He isn't offering a way to cope. He is offering salvation. “I have come that they may have life and that they me live it to the fullest” Jesus said. There is no other path to salvation than through Jesus Christ.
I. Salvation is a given.
1. That is, salvation cannot be obtained through personal or group effort. What Jesus said and what he did could not come from man. People aren't interested in salvation, they are interested in power and control. People, therefore, are trapped in the attempt to control their circumstances. They don't look for salvation, they look to cope, or to conquer, or to escape. That is why salvation must come from outside humanity. It had to come from God and it had to be given by God. Salvation is outside the abilities of any person or people.
2. Biblical support: “For all have sinned and have come up short of the glory of God.”
3. Personal observation: In my job as a sports official, I have to overcome my own opinions and emotions in order to fairly administer a game. I strive for perfection, but I rarely (read that, never) achieve it. My own failings at some point will cause me to make mistake. That is why salvation must be given from God. The burden of obtaining salvation is beyond the ability of mankind. We can't get routine things correct, let alone saving human nature from itself.
II. Salvation is in a name.
1. Jesus Christ. Jesus the son of Joseph. Jesus of Nazareth. There is no other person who has been given the task and the authority for saving mankind. The Scriptures identify the Messiah. They give the Scriptural prophesies. They give the confirmation. There is no other person who has been given the task of salvation. There have been others who have tried to add to what Jesus has taught. There were philosophers before Jesus' time who offered ways to live a good life. But, only Jesus offers salvation.
2. Biblical support: The rich young ruler had lived a good life, but had to admit that something was missing. Jesus told him to give up his wealth and follow him. It was an offer of salvation from the bondage of ambition. Although the man left, Jesus' words tell us that the way out of selfish ambition was to follow Jesus. Only Jesus.
3. The point: The way out of the bondage of human nature is to follow Jesus. God gave the responsibility and authority exclusively to Jesus. If you want a life different from what you are living, then you must go to Jesus.