Summary: A helpful message to Christian parents
"RAISING CONFIDENT KIDS"
EPHESIANS 5:25-28, 6:4
I. STEPS IN BUILDING CONFIDENCE (EPH 5:25-29, 6:4)
A. Understand the Biblical Principles (5:25-28)
1. Love is central (v. 25a; 1 Cor 13:13)
2. Love costs something (v. 25b)
3. Love accomplishes something (vv. 26-27)
4. Love shows something (v. 28)
B. Take the Necessary Action (5:29)
1. We must "nourish" our children
2. We must "cherish" our children
C. Continue the Proper Development (Eph 6:4)
1. Make a commitment to discover your child (Prov 20:5)
2. Be willing to get involved with your child (Prov 27:17)
3. Develop the ability to reflect your child (Prov 27:19)
II. STRATEGIES FOR BOLSTERING CONFIDENCE
A. Set clear and consistent boundaries. Don’t keep changing the rules.
B. Praise publically, correct privately
C. Teach children to keep trying. Show them real heros.
D. Give appropriate responsibilities and allow children to face the
consequences of their mistakes.
E. Show affection. Don’t be sarcastic (Prov 12:18; Prov 18:21)
F. Instead of always giving orders, sometimes offer choices.
G. Spend time with your child.
H. Don’t compare your child to others.
I. Attend church as a family. Talk to your child about God.
J. Pray for your child. Pray with your child.