Summary: Kindness and gentleness are fruits of the Spirit. If there were a trial today and being kind and gentle were a crime, would there be enough evidence to convict us?
Random Acts of Kindness
Illustration: The Courtroom drama.
We all know the story, it’s the story of the good Samaritan and even those in the world who don’t know that Jesus originally told the story know what a good Samaritan is.
Jesus used this story to illustrate the point of loving those around us, a lawyer had asked Jesus what he had to do to inherit eternal life and Jesus answer was what do you think you have to do? And the Lawyer answered in Luke 10:27 “ ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ” To which Jesus responded, “Ok, you know what to do, do it.” I love the next part because the bible says the lawyer wanted to justify his actions and so he asked “And who is my neighbor?” This would make me think that probably the guy was very religious but not all that much fun to be around. We all know people like that; they find it easier to love God than to love people.
Are we guilty of random acts of kindness?
For the past month we’ve focused on Galatians 5:22-23 But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. We’ve already looked at the characteristics of Love, joy, peace and patience and how they are demonstrated in the life of spirit filled believers. You have caught that haven’t you? If these aren’t attributes in your life and you are claiming to be a believer then you’ve got problems, and you need to talk to God about it.
Today we are looking at two attributes combined and they are Kindness and Goodness, we are going to lump them together by stating up front that if you are good to someone it will involve kindness as a matter of fact the words used in the original have almost the same meaning. On the other hand if you were to defined goodness as moral goodness then it will encompass all of the other fruit of the spirit as well.
Why should we be kind to others?
1. We are commanded to. Eph 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
2. 1 Thess. 5:15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.
3. Solomon said: Proverbs 3:3 NASV. Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
Lets look at the story:
1st man came and was on his way to some business; he walked on the other side. Many of us see people in need and walk on the other side, pretending not to see.
1. Oh no look another panhandler, don’t look
2. We see others carrying signs saying “Will work for food” or something to the affect.
3. Sometimes we just don’t want to be bothered.
4. Sometimes we see the situation and say Oh that’s too bad but do nothing 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:16).