Summary: Our destiny for this generation is to serve our generation
Reaching Our Generation by Gerald Van Horn.
Text. Acts 13:36 “For David, after he had served his own generations, fell on sleep…”
There are many deeds that David did during his life. He did many great things even as a young man. However, none speak as loud to us as our text. “David served his generation.” The question is “can we serve our generation? Our destiny as a church is to reach our generation for the Lord. The task seems impossible.
Jonathan Edwards said “The obligation of every generation is to understand what God is doing and then do it with Him.”
This generation has been called the “baby boomers” and the lost generation. There is no doubt that this generation is the terminal generation. By that I mean Jesus is coming very soon and the door of salvation my close. The Bible says “But as the days of Noah were , so shall also the coming of he Son of Man be.” Matthew 24:37. In verse 38 it lists some of the conditions that existed in Noah’ day. “eating” and in our time we have more people over weight than ever before. The report is that in 2010 half of the United States will be obese. “drinking” Our world is filled with alcoholics. Multitudes are seeking solace in the bottle. “marrying and given in marriage.” We are asked now by the government to recognize and honor same sex marriages. In deed these are the marks of the last days. Matthew 24:34, “This generation shall not pass until all these things be fulfilled.”
Let us look at some of these things:
1. Knowledge will increase. Daniel 12:4 …“many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.” We are that knowable generation. We can to the moon and mars but have not learned how to conquer inner space.
2. The Gospel shall be preached into all the world. Matthew 24:14. “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.” This would have been impossible 20 years ago but can easily be done with the advent of telecommunications.
4. Other signs: The love of many will wax cold. Christians will suffer persecution as never before seen. There will be world-wide poverty. Wars and rumors of wars.
It may seem that all is lost. Let me offer a few suggestions on how to reach this generation. Terrible as things may appear there is a way. God has always made a way.
May I suggest. We need to:
1. Give a clarion call. A clarion call is one that is precise and clear. One that is unmistakable. I Corinthians 14:8 “ For if the trumpet give and uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself for battle?” The call to our generation must be a clear one. Unmistakable clear. There should be no gray areas in our message. There is a lot of “good feeling gospel” being preached today. It has it roots in the flesh and selfishness. It could be called the gospel of accommodation. It is a false gospel. You will not find it in the Bible.
Our message to this generation is clear. The old time gospel has never been easy and while it is not easy it works I want them to know Jesus. He is still the answer and even though we loose a few people it is worth it. The clear call is “Jesus Saves.”
2. We need to give a clear message without compromise. Many say that will never draw a big crowd. So be it. “Don’t preach that for it will hurt someone’s feelings.” The Bible is very clear in the manner of what is preached. It is either heaven or hell. How clearer can we be. So all will stand before God for what is preached.
Illustration: Bridge out.
Yes, some will not hear but message is clear.
The message is “Jesus saves.”
3. We need to admonish them in love. Love covers a multitude of sins. Not just any love but a very special love. It is called Agape love. God’s love. The same kind of love that drew you to the Lord.
Who cares about Souls?
Pastor Kevin cares about souls
Our church staff cares about souls
Discovery church cares about souls
I care about souls
Jesus cares about souls.
WE CAN FEED THE HUNGRY…..SO CAN ----------------------
We can buy eye glasses for people….so can the lions club
WE CAN CLOTH THE NAKED…..SO CAN THE SALVATION ARMY
WE CAN SING TO THE TOP OF OUR VOICES…SO CAN THE ANGELS
ONE THING NO ONE ELSE CAN DO….WIN THE LOST TO JESUS