Summary: What is your response to this miracle working Jesus? The responses we saw years ago are still common today. Who understood him best?
Reaction: How Do We Account for Jesus?
1. A middle-aged, wealthy woman has a heart attack. While on the operating table she has a near death experience. She sees the angel at the gates and asks if this is it.
The angel says no, she has another 30-40 years to live. She recovers, and decides to stay in the hospital and have a face lift, liposuction, tummy tuck, hair dyed, etc. She figures since she's got another 30 or 40 years, she might as well make the most of it.
2. As she walks out of the hospital after the last operation she is immediately struck and killed by an ambulance.
3. When she arrives at the pearly gates, she sees the same angel and asks, "I thought you said I had another 30 or 40 years?"
"To tell you the truth," the angel replied..."I didn't recognize you." [adapted from http://www.haruth.com/jhumor/Jhumor15.html]
2. Jesus predicts a time when many would come to him and mention all the good deeds they did in his name, and he will cast them off and say, “Depart from me….I never knew you.” Do you know Jesus? What do you think of him?
Main Idea: What is your response to this miracle working Jesus? The responses we saw years ago are still common today. Who understood him best?
I. A Mostly Positive Response: Jesus’ Apostles, His Authoritative EMMISSARIES (13-19)
A. Modeled after the Twelve SPIES in Numbers 13
In this case, 11 of the 12 had faith, but the people of Israel would not be led into the promised land because of unbelief…
B. Were to judge the TWELVE tribes of Israel
Matthew 19:28, “Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.’”
C. All from GALILEE except JUDAS
1. Two sets of brothers: Peter and Andrew, James and John
2. A diverse bunch: fisherman, tax collector, terrorist
3. They illustrate the best Christians today: still some tares mixed in
D. Later, became the FOUNDATION LAYERS of the church
Ephesians 2:20, “…built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone…”
E. Independently CONTRACTED by Jesus Himself (not the church) [Important]
Galatians 1:1, 11-12, 15-17: “Paul, an apostle—not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father… For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. … But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.”
F. Do you understand that all Scripture is EVENLY inspired?