Summary: Challenge to read the bible
Read all 66 in 2006
INTRO: What in this life can we count on?
1. Other people. We all disappoint one another at times, we can not
all be counted on 100% of the time, no matter how much we want to
2. Government: Right?
3. Nature: Tsunami 1yr ago, Hurricanes recently, drought & fires now
B. There are only 2 things that I know of that you can count on
with absolute security.
1. They are God Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.)
2. The book that tells us about God, the Bible, God’s Word.
Ps 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
3. In a changing world, it’s good for us to focus on &
remember those things that never change.
a. They give us stability. b. That Rock to build our life on
Mt 7:24 “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:”
Joh 13:17 ‘If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.”
Lu 11:28 “..blessed [are] they that hear the word of God, and keep it.”
B. Yet many people, many Christians never truly get into the
Book, the Word from God
1. Noble People of Berea received the Word
a. Did they just hear the word or did they hear the word?
1. Dad to son, carry out trash, “Ok, dad I’ll do now,” but an hour
later he hasn’t a. Did he hear his dad, yes
b. But did he receive internally what dad said? No
2. Couple dated for months: she wonders if ever he’ll pop the
question/one night they went out to eat at a romantic restaurant, w/
candles and violins/he looks at her and says, “Sally?”/ “Yes,
Bubba”/ “Can I ask you a question?”/ “sure” [getting excited]/
“pass me that ketchup”/ “oh, ok, here it is” / “one more
thing…will you marry me?”/ “oh, yes, Bubba, yes, I’ll marry
you!” and throws her arms around his neck!
a. Did she hear it with her ears?
b. Did she embrace it with her heart? Yes!
2. Like the Berean Christians there is a need in each of our
hearts to receive the Word, to desire it, devour it too read,
study, digest it into our life & apply to our being
I. The Word of God is alive.
A. Why believe an OLD Book?
1. An argument for not accepting the validity of the Bible is
the thinking that it is a dead book.
a. They ask “How can a book that was completed almost 2000 years
ago in a land halfway around the world have anything to do with
b. If that question was asked about any book other than the
Bible, I would not have an answer for it.
c. But the Bible is unique in that the author is still alive,
1. And I have a personal relationship with Him.
2. When I read His Book, He is able to take what I read,
a. Show me how it affects things that are going on in my
1. If there are parts that I do not understand – There are a lot of those
2. Then I am able to go to the Author & seek His wisdom in how to
a. Everything else in my world that is alive, changes.
1. My views, my relationships, my politics, my understanding
3. What about the Bible?
a. Since it’s living, is it going to change. NO! Why?
b. Because it is already perfect.
Ps 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect . . .
c. Things that are perfect don’t need to change.
4. The Bible, as it was delivered by God through His prophets
a. Does not need any Additions *such as the book of Mormon –
b. Or Editions – Add or subtract because don’t like some
1. It doesn’t need our updating, it needs our obedience
*Ever heard of the Jefferson Bible? Thomas Jefferson didn’t believe in the supernatural, so he published his own edition of the Bible with all miracles and acts of God subtracted from it. I’ve never read a copy of his Bible, but I imagine that it would be pretty sad to read it. There would be none of the healings of Jesus, no feeding of the 5000, no raising of Lazarus from the dead, and Jesus would still be in the grave.
c. We are to either accept all of it or none of it.
1. You can’t pick and choose.
**I don’t like your hair. Got to accept me warts & all
That would be like me coming up to Mike and saying, “Mike, since you’ve been so nice to me over the holidays, I’m going to invite you into my home for dinner after church today. But Mike, I must tell you that there is one part of you that I really don’t like. It makes me mad every time that I look at that part. If you’re going to come into my home, you must leave behind your right thumb” When you accept me, you accept me warts and all, or you do not accept me at all.