Summary: Challenge to read the bible
Read all 66 in 2006
INTRO: What in this life can we count on?
1. Other people. We all disappoint one another at times, we can not
all be counted on 100% of the time, no matter how much we want to
2. Government: Right?
3. Nature: Tsunami 1yr ago, Hurricanes recently, drought & fires now
B. There are only 2 things that I know of that you can count on
with absolute security.
1. They are God Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.)
2. The book that tells us about God, the Bible, God’s Word.
Ps 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
3. In a changing world, it’s good for us to focus on &
remember those things that never change.
a. They give us stability. b. That Rock to build our life on
Mt 7:24 “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:”
Joh 13:17 ‘If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.”
Lu 11:28 “..blessed [are] they that hear the word of God, and keep it.”
B. Yet many people, many Christians never truly get into the
Book, the Word from God
1. Noble People of Berea received the Word
a. Did they just hear the word or did they hear the word?
1. Dad to son, carry out trash, “Ok, dad I’ll do now,” but an hour
later he hasn’t a. Did he hear his dad, yes
b. But did he receive internally what dad said? No
2. Couple dated for months: she wonders if ever he’ll pop the
question/one night they went out to eat at a romantic restaurant, w/
candles and violins/he looks at her and says, “Sally?”/ “Yes,
Bubba”/ “Can I ask you a question?”/ “sure” [getting excited]/
“pass me that ketchup”/ “oh, ok, here it is” / “one more
thing…will you marry me?”/ “oh, yes, Bubba, yes, I’ll marry
you!” and throws her arms around his neck!
a. Did she hear it with her ears?
b. Did she embrace it with her heart? Yes!
2. Like the Berean Christians there is a need in each of our
hearts to receive the Word, to desire it, devour it too read,
study, digest it into our life & apply to our being
I. The Word of God is alive.
A. Why believe an OLD Book?
1. An argument for not accepting the validity of the Bible is
the thinking that it is a dead book.
a. They ask “How can a book that was completed almost 2000 years
ago in a land halfway around the world have anything to do with
b. If that question was asked about any book other than the
Bible, I would not have an answer for it.
c. But the Bible is unique in that the author is still alive,
1. And I have a personal relationship with Him.
2. When I read His Book, He is able to take what I read,
a. Show me how it affects things that are going on in my
1. If there are parts that I do not understand – There are a lot of those
2. Then I am able to go to the Author & seek His wisdom in how to
a. Everything else in my world that is alive, changes.
1. My views, my relationships, my politics, my understanding
3. What about the Bible?
a. Since it’s living, is it going to change. NO! Why?
b. Because it is already perfect.