Summary: ❶. Many Hours To Read the Bible? ❷. Read With Purpose ❸. Start With ... ❹. Reasons For Reading ❺. How to Read
❶. Many Hours To Read the Bible?
It’s been said that it takes about 75 hours to read the Bible aloud at a normal rate. A little over 50 hours of that will be spent reading the OT
- A Pastor of challenged his youth group to see how long it would take them to do it. On a Monday, they started reading the Bible aloud from the pulpit of their church. Reading in 15 minute shifts for about 15 hours a day,
- They read the Bible through aloud in a little over 79 hours
"Most Christians get a little Bible here and there.
- Most have never read it cover to cover,"
- People just think they can’t read it in a year
- How about reading it in 90 days?
- That works out to 12 pages a day
- Bible = 929 chapters
- 11 Chapters a day
- Or 12 pages a day in a large print Bible
Why 90 days?
Because most people can wrap their minds around doing something for 90 days. Imagine giving a person a choice to diet for three months... or twelve. Which is more likely to succeed?
❷. Read With Purpose
"A man may enter a garden for three purposes:
1st , to learn the art of gardening;
2nd , for pleasure;
3rd , to gather fruit.
So a man may read the Bible for three things:
1st to learn to read it or dispute about it;
2nd to read its story for pleasure;
3rd, to gather fruit.
- This last is the true way."
❸. Start With ...
1. Being willing to spend time.
- Take Bible study seriously.
2. Being honest with the Bible.
- Be willing to listen to what it actually says -- not what you can make it mean.
3. Reading the Bible by books
- Or at least by sections.
- Don’t be satisfied with pulling out isolated verses.
4. Putting yourself in the shoes of the very first readers
- Try to imagine what they understood as they read.
❹. Reasons For Reading
1. Read the Bible to Have Spiritual Growth
- 1 Peter 2:2 - As newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the word, that by it you may grow in respect to salvation.
- Are you just growing old, or are you growing up?
2. Read the Bible For Spiritual Maturity
Hebrews 5:11-14 - Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.-
- The mark of spiritual maturity is not how much you understand, but how much you put to use.
3. Read the Bible To Be Sp. Effective
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
4. Read the Bible to have a Clean Life
9. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.