Summary: Our souls are in turmoil because of the absence of real peace, which can be brought to us by the only justice that is real, through faith in Jesus Christ.
Real Peace – A Gift of Salvation
Romans 5:1 – 9
A. Paul is basically closing out his bid of showing the people of Rome salvation.
B. Salvation is the key to real peace.
C. As I watched a movie, “Air Force One,” there was a statement made that stuck with me. Harrison Ford, playing the part of the President, stated, “Real peace doesn’t just come with the absence of war, but with justice during the absence of war.”
D. This is a true statement. Our souls are in turmoil because of the absence of real peace, which can be brought to us by the only justice that is real, through faith in Jesus Christ.
E. Paul is telling the people how to have peace with God.
TO HAVE PEACE WITH GOD WE MUST BE JUSTIFIED BY FAITH.
A. Paul tells us in Ephesians 2:8 – 9 “For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast.”
B. These people were no different than people today.
1. They thought that being good and obeying the law would account for their selves
2. They thought this would get them to heaven
3. Today, men are no different.
a. We think that if we give to charity, this good work will get us some kind of brownie points.
b. We think that if we go to church, despite how we are living in the world, more brownie points with God will be scored.
c. What about, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in Him.” Check out the lost of America; they love living in the world, doing whatever they want to, because they don’t have real peace, real joy, or real love. They don’t have Jesus Christ.
d. We have a false peace because of religion.
e. Satan give Eve this same since of false peace. “The only reason God doesn’t won’t you to eat this fruit, is because you will be like him; you will know the difference between right and wrong.” He was right in a since. Even though we did not become as God, we do know the difference between right and wrong. IT IS CALLED LAW
C. Another example; look at Judas Iscariot. He was as religious as they come. He even had the power, according to Matthew 10:5 – 10
1. Just because we go to church and play church does not mean we have the real peace of God.
2. Peace of God comes through faith in Jesus Christ – there is a difference in man peace and God peace.
3. Judas was so wrapped up in his service to Christ, that he thought the good works would get brownie points.
4. I believe that he realized his false peace was wrapped up in himself when he hung himself.
5. He seemed to be as the other disciples to the world, but to Jesus he was still lost.
6. Lost men have no hope until they find Christ.
TO HAVE PEACE WITH GOD BRINGS FORTH REJOICING
A. It is amazing how Paul and James think of this subject alike.
1. Grace is a free gift of God.
2. However, we need to understand that rejoicing in the hope of the glory of God is rejoicing in the hope of Jesus Christ.
3. He is the only hope we have of ever seeing the kingdom of God.
B. Faith, Hope and Love – 1 Corinthians 13:13 – speaking of the gifts, something to think about;
1. Jesus said, “Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.”
2. Have you ever seen the faith of a child in anything? Parents for example. If I take Ryan to a swimming pool and tell him to jump in the deep end of it, he will not. However, if I put a life jacket on him and get into the water and tell him to jump, he will. This is because I have instilled in him faith in me. He knows I will catch him, and if at all possible, I will make sure he doesn’t get hurt.
3. He does this in faith. This is a shining example of how Jesus tells us unless we put faith in Him we will fall hard. We need to have that same kind of faith in Jesus Christ, that we see children show in their parents.