Summary: take a look of the realties that give life definition and meaning.
REALITIES THAT GIVE LIFE DEFINITION AND MEANING
GOODNEWS CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP
BUCAS, Daraga Albay
January 7, 2007
A. About the Disaster that hits Albay
B. About the predictions in year 2007 by some Psychics
Philosophies of life that wont’ work
1. Materialism – Philosophy says, “Possessions satisfy – provide yourself!” When we buy into this system, we accumulate things because we think objects will make us happy or comfortable, somehow bringing us contentment
Illustrations: He who dies with the most toys wins
What does it means? It is “materialism to the max.” For them, it is a meaningful and fulfilling life. Oh, I can say, it’s a futility of materialism.
2. Epicureanism – It centered around the idea that the pleasure of the individual was the sole or chief good in life. If it feels good, grab it. This philososphyadvocated living in such a way as to derive the greatest amount of pleasure possible during one’s lifetime
To the Epicureans, virtue in itself had no value and was beneficial only when it served as a means to gain happiness. Reciprocity was recommended, not because it was right and noble, but because it paid off. Friendships rested on the same selfish basis, that is, the pleasure resulting to the possessor. While the pursuit of pleasure formed the focal point of the philosophy, paradoxically Epicurus referred to life as a “bitter gift.” (wikpedia.org)
3. Humanism – It says, “Humanity is glorious – exalt yourself!” It’s the age-old idea that there is no such thing as depravity. According to this believe. We humans possess great potential. We can therefore do it on our own. We’re good enough, were strong enough and certainly capable enough to pull it off, regardless. Example of this philosophy is embodied in the poem “Invictus” by William Ernest Henley.
Got the picture? Humanists teach we are masters of our own fate, captain of our souls. We are indomitable, unconquerable, and invincible. This is a philosophy that needs to be blasted.
4. Fatalism – The view that human deliberation and actions are pointless and ineffectual in determining events, because whatever will be will be. “The game is fixed – resign yourself!”
• If it is fated for you to recover from your illness, then you will recover whether you call a doctor or not.
• Likewise, if you are fated not to recover, you will not do so even if you call a doctor.
This philosophy sucks the hope and motivation from life. We feels like we are robots on this earth. Life becomes depressing.
December of last year, local radio station presented a documentary film that tells about the destruction that will bring about on this earth. A big and huge flood will submerged cities of the world. A person who listened to the program may feels miserable or may be depressed. “If all this is going to happen- why go on living?”
Brothers and sisters, don’t be a victim to these kind of philosophy of life. Take these off in your life.
Now let’s take a look of the realties that give life definition and meaning.