Summary: To encourage God’s people to be thankful because He has blessed us greatly in Christ Jesus and He continues to be here with us.
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST
A MESSAGE SERIES FROM COLOSSIANS
Reasons To Give Thanks
A. Following Paul’s praise of the church at Colosse and his pray for them He expresses an attitude of thankfulness.
1. Now you might think “So what?”
2. Paul has been on three very hard mission trips (His second trip alone was somewhere about 1500 to 2000 miles [St Louis to Salt Lake City or San Francisco])
a. He has been beaten, stoned, left for dead, shipped wrecked, bitten by snakes, chased out of numerous towns
b. And now he is in prison for preaching the gospel that speaks of freedom!
3. Yet he writes, Giving thanks unto the Father…
B. Think about this for a moment
1. We live in troubled times
a. The economy is bad to put it mildly
b. The government is not exactly friendly to the Christian life style
c. Our cities are in turmoil crime is up - services are down
d. Families at all levels of society are falling apart
e. Maybe your own situation is not good, or down right bad
2. Do we, like Paul, find in us a thankful spirit?
C. If we are Christians and we don’t, it could be because our heads and hearts are in the wrong place.
1. Jesus said, For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Luke 12:34
2. It could be said, where your heart is, there you will seek your treasure.
3. Jesus also said, But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33
4. Paul took these words to heart: as he begins this extended oration of thanksgiving we are going to find that he does not focus on the things of this world
5. On what does He focus? Jesus Christ!
D. Paul can be thankful through it all because He sees Jesus for who He really is – this will be our outline.
1. Paul knew Jesus:
a. Is Savior
b. Is Creator
c. Is Head of the Church
2. As we look to Jesus and see who He really is, we will have Reasons To Be Thankful as well!
We will begin this morning by taking a look at the greatest reason To Give Thanks: that being
I. JESUS IS SAVIOR, Col. 1:12-15 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:  Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:  In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:  Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: There are many things from this passage we could look at but lets settle for two:
A. The Fact: we are partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
1. Listen to these two verses:
a. Ephes. 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
b. Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
2. Do you see reason to be thankful for Jesus as Savior?
a. We have become children of God, we have a joint inheritance with Christ – all that is his is ours!