Summary: Elderly S.S. teacher said, “If you want to get in good with God just brag on His Son”.
Reason’s To Praise The Lord; 1 Peter 1:1-7
A boy said to his father: “Let’s play darts. I’ll throw and you say, ‘Wonderful!’”
Elderly S.S. teacher said, “If you want to get in good with God just brag on His Son”.
I. God Has Given Us A Living Hope Vs.3
A. The Condition of those living without Christ
1. They have no real hope Eph. 2:12 “That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world”.
2. They have a false hope - Jehovah’s Witness – know God’s word
B. Contrast Peter’s living hope
From Parade magazine comes the story of self-made millionaire Eugene Lang. Mr. Lang had been asked to speak to a class of 59 sixth-graders. He wondered what he could say to inspire these students? He wondered how he could get these predominantly black and Puerto Rican children even to look at him. Scrapping his notes, he decided to speak to them from his heart. "Stay in school," he admonished, "and I’ll help pay the college tuition for every one of you." At that moment the lives of these students changed. For the first time they had hope. Said one student, "I had something to look forward to, something waiting for me. It was a golden feeling." Nearly 90 percent of that class went on to graduate from high school.
1. Christ is alive Rom. 1:4 “And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead”.
2. Our resurrection is sure 1 Cor. 15:20-22 “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive”.
3. Our home prepared John 14:2-3 “go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also”.
A man approached a little league baseball game one afternoon. He asked a boy in the dugout what the score was. The boy responded, “Eighteen to nothing--we’re behind.”
“Boy,” said the spectator, “I’ll bet you’re discouraged.” “Why should I be discouraged?” replied the little boy. “We haven’t even gotten up to bat yet!”
II. God Has Given Us A Lasting Inheritance Vs.4
A. Peter was the son of a fisherman of some wealth
B. His inheritance would have taken care of his needs
C. Families fighting over their inheritance (Jacob & Esau) (Jephtah)
1. But he left all to follow Jesus
2. Some would question his decision
3. Not wise in the world’s eyes
4. He realized the things of this world would not last
D. He saw his heavenly inheritance is greater than any worldly one.
1. One that is incorruptible
2. One that is Undefiled - pure
3. One that won’t fade away – mirage – kids and their toys, adults and their toys
4. One that is reserved in heaven
E. We are a perishing people living among perishing things
F. In Christ, we will not perish, nor will our inheritance
III. God Has Given Us A Lifetime Of Powerful Protection & Provision Vs.5-7