Summary: Do you benefit from your time or cheat yourself by misusing it.
Scripture: EPH. 5:15-21
Theme: REDEEMING THE TIME VS 16
Remembering that time is one of God’s Gifts to everyone with an equal share. It is also the responsibility of each one to use it the way he or she decides to. You either benefit from your time or cheat yourself by misusing it. Lets take a look at what the preacher of Old said about time. Eccl. 3:1-9 In these verses we are reminded to make the best use of our time. Permit me to discuss this topic with you in three headings – Namely:
1. How time is lost.
2. How time could be redeemed.
3. Why time must be redeemed.
1. Time lost – By habitual, limitless sleep – Prov. 20:13. “Love not sleep otherwise you come to poverty, open your eyes and you will have plenty of bread. This is very true in most cases today those who have enough on their tables to eat and to spare are those who have earlier disciplined their sleep. Isa. 5:11 “Woe to those who rise early in the morning, that they may run after strong drinks who also tarry late in the evening till wine inflames them. Here time is completely lost. In Eccl. 7:17 we read. Be not wicked over much neither be a fool, why should you die before your time? Furthermore in Eccl. 12:1 we are reminded to remember our God in the days of our youth etc.
2. How is time to be redeemed- Guard it jealously Gal. 5:13. here the Apostle Paul reminds us that – “The right is far spent, the day of His return is near.
So quit the evil deeds of darkness and put on the Armour of righteousness, be decent and true in every thing you say or do. Don’t spent your time in wild parties. The Psalmist in Ch. 149:1 teaches us to spend our time learning new songs to sing and praise God in the service of His faithful people. To the young people, the apostle Peter write. Follow the leadership of those who are older and serve each other with humble spirits, for God gives special blessings to those who are humble.
3. Lastly, why should time be redeemed – because it is so short and uncertain – Psalm 39:5. “ How short you have made my life? In your sight my life time seems as nothing, every man is not more than a puff of wind. The prophet Micah says in Ch. 7:2 that the godly man has perished from the earth, none up right among men. They all lie in wait for blood and each hurts brother with a net. Let us keep praying to our God through His son Jesus Christ to help us redeem every minute of our time during the year 2006 and use it effectively in the service of one another to the glory of God. Always mindful of redeeming the time for indeed the days are evil. In John 14:12 Jesus admonished His disciples and said” Truly, Truly I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do, and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the father”.
May the Lord bless your hearts with the above discussions and keep you busy in His vine yard till He comes.