Summary: He did not teach what they wanted to hear so many left Him. WE have to decide if we are going to follow the authentic Jesus
• VIDEO CLIP
• SLIDE #1
• Today as we continue with our Great Complaints series, we are going to hit on a subject that we all face as we strive to follow Jesus.
• The text today offers us important insights concerning our walk with as well as the pressure we face today to modify the teachings of the Bible so that we can be more accepted by society.
• The message is entitled REJECTING JESUS. The text deals with what we face as Christians on a daily basis.
• We will be on John 6:23-69 today. This narrative takes place after Jesus has fed the 5,000 and after He walked on water in the presence of the disciples.
• SLIDE #2 MAP
• According to Luke 9:10, the feeding of the 5,000 took place near Bethsaida. Scholars are not sure if the Feeding took place in Bethsaida Julias or Bethsaida Galilee.
• I am more inclined to lean toward Bethsaida Galilee for many reasons, but nonetheless, I want to point this out to you on the map because our narrative takes place the next day in Capernaum.
• The crowd had followed Jesus from Bethsaida to Capernaum.
• Word had spread quickly down to Tiberias.
• When the crowds could not find Jesus nor His disciples, they all headed out to Capernaum looking for Him.
• The crowd was excited to find Jesus. They ask Jesus when He arrived in Capernaum?
• Jesus does not answer them, but rather makes a statement.
• SLIDE #3
• John 6:26–27 (CSB) — 26 Jesus answered, “Truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate the loaves and were filled. 27 Don’t work for the food that perishes but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set his seal of approval on him.”
• Now the crowd responds in verse 28 wanting to know what they can do to perform the works of God?
• SLIDE #4
• John 6:29–34 (CSB) — 29 Jesus replied, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the one he has sent.” 30 “What sign, then, are you going to do so we may see and believe you?” they asked. “What are you going to perform? 31 Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, just as it is written: He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” 32 Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, Moses didn’t give you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34 Then they said, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
• The Series title is Great Complaints. So, to cut to chase, the Great Complaint, which will lead many of Jesus’ followers to reject Him was that Jesus was going teach some things they did not like.
• This builds to what we are going to cover today.
• SLIDE #5
I. What is my motivation for following Jesus.
• This crowd traveled a pretty decent distance to come and see Jesus.
• Jesus goes right to the heart of the matter.
• “Truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate the loaves and were filled.
• When I have read this before, I used to wonder why Jesus did not applauded them for their effort to see Him.