Summary: "Remember Lot's wife"
In context of his coming:-
(a) He will come Suddenly - v. 24 "For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day."
(b) He will come Surprisingly - v. 27 "They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all."
(c) He will come Speedily - v. 29 "But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all."
(d) He will come Searchingly - v. 32 "Remember Lot's wife."
(e) He will come Solemnly - v. 34 - 36 "I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." Note the separation
v. 32 "Remember Lot's wife." Why? She Perished
1. Connections - Lot's wife and Abraham's niece - yet she perished
2. Call - Genesis 19 v. 17 "And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed."
She was made aware of:-
The Danger she was in - "be consumed"
The Direction she must take - "escape to the mountain (calvary)
The Diligence she must show - "escape for thy life"
Yet despite knowing the will of God, the word of God and the way to God she still perished
3. Company - v. 15 "And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city." She had:-
God willing her to be saved
Angels warning her to be saved
Abraham watching for her salvation yet she perished
4. Choice - v 16 " And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city." yet perished
5. Commitment - v. 23 "The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar." She was almost saved - we read of:-
(a) A Scribe - Mark 12 v. 34 "And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question."
(b) Felix - Acts 24 v. 24 & 25 "And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee."
(c) Agrippa - Acts 26 v. 27 - 29 "King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds."
she had come so far yet perished
6. Caution - v. 26 "But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt."
It was a :-
(a) Look of Disbelief - Genesis 3 v. 4 "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:"
(b) Look of Disobedience - Genesis 19 v. 17 "And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed."
(c) Look of Disclosure - It revealed
The Subtlety of sin, the Seriousness of sin, & the Significance of sin
(d) Look of Disaster - "She became a pillar of salt"
It was Sudden, Serious, Shameful She perished
So near to the kingdom of Heaven