Summary: The most corrupting force in the universe can be overcome by the blood of Christ
THE REMISSION OF SIN
Text: Romans 6:23
1. Go back With me back as far as you can into human history, Back beyond the founding of America Beyond the rise and fall of the Roman Empire God is love and mercy created a world of imagination I was going to beautiful California history and Chris soon Send the great curse of mankind and sin is there the great curse of mankind.
2. The most terrible fact of this universe is the fact of sin, which is life’s most dreadful curse.
3. Sin in no whirlwind causing a slight disturbance. It is a hot sirocco blasting all that would stand before it.
4. Sin is the source of all evil, terror and horror that preys upon the citizens of mother earth.
5. Is sin really so bad? Consider:
I. Consider the cruel consequence of sin - death.
Romans 3:23 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Ezekiel 18:20 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
A. A loving creator warned our first parents sin would bring death.
Genesis 2:17 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
B. The Devil in the form of the Serpent told Eve that she would not die if she ate of the forbidden fruit.
C. She trusted Satan and her own personal opinions more than she trusted God.
D. Instead of saying, “Get behind me Satan, I trust in the word of God,” she listened, she looked, she lusted, she ate and she died.
E. So did Adam.
Genesis 3:4 4 But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die.
Romans 5:12 12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—
F. When one sins against God and others, something within him dies.
II. Sin is the most corrupting, destructive force in the universe.
A. God is the source of ever good and perfect gift.
James 1:17 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
B. Yet, when sin is added to any God-given virtue, gift or achievement it spells grief, misery and suffering and ultimately, death.
1. A gun plus sin will produce violence and murder.
2. Success plus sin will produce arrogance and pride.
3. Money plus sin will produce greed, blackmail and bribery.
4. Love plus sin turns to lust.
5. A bottle of alcohol, a vile of drugs, a magazine in a friend’s house, an internet connection, an automobile parked on the street corner or a gun hidden away: all of these are merely inanimate objects but allow sin to enter the picture and any one of them will spell disaster!
6. Song “Sin is to Blame.”
III. Gospel is Good News that we are not without hope when it comes to dealing with sin.
A. God has not left us powerless.