Summary: Many Christians live lives of contempt for God and they don¡¦t even know it. Solomon talks about three ways we can show contempt for God, ways that might seem harmless.
Respecting God with Your Very Life
1. There was a woman who went on a short term missions trip to Kenya, helping the missionaries there. Before she left, she stopped at a remote village where she attended a medical clinic. As the native women outside the clinic began to sing together, she found herself deeply moved by their beautiful singing. The harmonies and rhythms seemed worshipful indeed.
She was so moved she began to cry. Since she wanted to capture the moment in her memories, she turned to her bi-lingual friend and queried, "Could you please translate the words to that absolutely beautiful song?"
Her friend stared at her and respectfully replied, "If you boil the water, you won’t get dysentery."
2. Things are not always as they seem.
3. The same is true within Christendom; there are many folks who claim to be serious Christians, but they are merely superficial. They project a great image, but there is little substance.
4. God wants us to "stand in awe" of Him; yet many genuine believers disregard His will for their daily lives.
MAIN IDEA: Many Christians live lives of contempt for God and they don’t even know it.
TS--------„³ Solomon talks about three ways we can show contempt for God, ways that might seem harmless.
I. Maintain Spiritual Ignorance (1)
1. I disagree with Rick Warren on this point from his book, The Purpose Driven Life:
"The last thing many believers need today is to go to another Bible study. They already know far more than they are putting into practice. What they need are serving experiences in which they can exercise their spiritual muscles."
This is so false. Barna tells us that most Christians do not even understand the most basic doctrines. Only a minority of Christians have read through their Bibles even ONCE, and fewer still can do something as simple as state the 10 Commandments. Never in the history of our nation have Christians been more ignorant of the Bible and doctrine.
I cannot think of one person in our church who knows his Bible well and is not doing SOMETHING for the Lord. Yet I know many Christians who do not know their Bibles well and yet are not doing anything for the Lord.
Thirty of forty years ago, the problem of which Rick Warren speaks did occur more frequently than it does today, but even then it was the exception. Bible content and doctrine not only inform us, but the Holy Spirit uses the Bible and truth in general to MOTIVATE us.
2. How the Old Testament system was supposed to work: fathers of families taught & priests for more advanced teaching
(1) memorize, ready, and study the Torah
(2) Bible study was considered the most practical way to honor God
How the New Testament system is supposed to work: fathers when possible and teaching elders instruct
(3)Faithful Jews would go the Temple 3 times a year; from Moses until the Babylonian Captivity (about 1000 years) they had no Synagogues; during those 3 time a year journeys, they were to learn from priests and scholars who hung around the courts of the Temple (common people never entered a Temple building--that was for priests only; when people went to the Temple, it means to the couryard around the Temple.