Summary: Remember it is a relationship 1. Talk (Prayer) 2. Listen (scripture) 3. Enjoy (praise) 4. Remember (change your focus)
Restore The Joy of Salvation
- Salvation implies rescue
- Hopeless situation & certain death
- Then snatched out of the despair
- O the joy of the rescue
- Now today
- Are you stressed or distressed by life?
- Do you rarely laugh?
- Are you quick to snap at people?
- Do flop into bed exhausted every night?
- Job wished he had never been born
Job 3:3 (AV)
3 Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived.
Job 3:11 (AV)
11 Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly?
- Ps. 55 - David asked God to take him somewhere else so he wouldn't have to deal with reality.
- Ahithophel & Absalom bent on destruction
Psalm 55:6–8 (AV)
6 And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
7 Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.
8 I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest.
- 1 Kings 18:16-46 – Elijah - God had just sent down fire from heaven to help him defeat 450 false prophets of Baal
- Next chapter runs away into the desert and asked God to take his life
- The Christian life is not supposed to be joyless
- Our God rejoices over us
Jeremiah 32:41 (AV)
41 Yea, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will plant them in this land assuredly with my whole heart and with my whole soul.
- How do we find joy when hardship comes?
- How do we restore joy in trouble times?
- “Restore” bring back to a former condition
- He does not ask God to bring back his salvation – He never lost it
- Joy is not found in power, position, or possessions, but rather in relationship
- One of the most comforting scriptures in the Bible
Matthew 11:28 (AV)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 (The Message)
28 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest.
[I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]"
- Peter of all of the disciples learned this
1 Peter 5:7 (AV)
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Restoring the Joy of Salvation
- It’s a relationship
- Job is encouraged to pray and remember how blessed we are
- God will bring joy and righteousness into our lives
Job 33:26 (AV)
26 He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness.
David wrote that studying the Bible can bring us joy
Psalm 19:8 (AV)
8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psalm 19:10 (The Message)
10 God’s Word is better than a diamond, better than a diamond set between emeralds. You’ll like it better than strawberries in spring, better than red, ripe strawberries.
He learned that he needed to praise God even in the midst of despair
Psalm 42:8 (AV)
8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.