Summary: Resurrection! (Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Proved by the message of the Gospel (vs 1)
Proved by his testimony (vs 5-9)
Proved by scripture (vs 3b-5)
• Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola have always battled to be the world’s best-selling drink:
• But in two countries were they have failed;
• In Peru they are outsold by ‘Inca-Cola’,
• And in Scotland ‘Irn-Bru’ continues to be more popular.
• When they both tried to conquer the Chinese market,
• Both companies encountered problems with translation:
• Coca-Cola (Ke-Kou-Ke-La ) translated as “Bite the wax tadpole”
• So they experts got busy and they researched the 40,000 Chinese characters;
• They managed to find a close match.
• Which translates as “Happiness in the mouth”.
• When I was growing up as a kid Pepsi-Cola had a very famous catch phrase;
• Which was “Come alive with Pepsi”
• Unfortunately when translated into Chinese it read
• “Pepsi brings your ancestors back to life”.
Well what Coca & Pepsi cannot do, Christians believe God can and has and will do!
• The Christian hope is not just salvation for the spirit,
• Like Jesus the Bible teaches we too shall have a physical resurrection!
• God will resurrect our bodies and unite it with our spirits;
• Never forget salvation will be a full & complete process!
• In the Bible;
• There are a number of accounts of People Raised miraculously from the Dead;
• Let me emphasises the word ‘miraculous’ – it required the power of God almighty!
• A few quick examples.
• i.e. Elijah raised the son of the Zarephath widow from the dead (1 Kings 17:17-22).
• i.e. Elisha raised the son of the Shunammite woman from the dead (2 Kings 4:32-35).
• i.e. A man was raised from the dead when his body touched Elisha’s bones (2 Kings 13:20, 21).
• In the New Testament Jesus spoiled every good funeral he ever went to;
• He kept ‘interfering’ and bringing the dead person back to life!
• i.e. Jesus raised the son of the widow of Nain from the dead (Luke 7:11-15).
• i.e. Jesus raised the daughter of Jairus from the dead (Luke 8:41, 42, 49-55).
• i.e. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead (John 11:1-44).
• In our recent studies in the book of Acts (History book of the early Church);
• We studied the apostle Peter who raised Dorcas from the dead (Acts 9:36-41).
• And we will study Eutychus who was raised from the dead by apostle Paul (Acts 20:9, 10).
• We live in a world dominated by new life and death:
• Birth Rate/Death Rate:
• (According to The World Factbook (CIA)
• 131.4 million births per year
• 55.3 million people who die each year
• 360,000 births per day
• 151,600 people die each day