Summary: Hosea’s Message: • God hates the sins of His people • Judgment is certain; • God’s love is certain
Two Spanish expeditions had failed to establish a colony on Mexican soil
April 21st, 1519, the Spanish explorer Hernando Cortez sailed into the harbor of Vera Cruz, Mexico. He brought with him only about 600 men, and yet over the next two years his vastly outnumbered forces were able to defeat Montezuma and all the warriors of the Aztec empire, making Cortez the conqueror of all Mexico. How was this incredible feat accomplished?
Here’s the secret. Cortez knew from the very beginning that he and his men faced incredible odds. He knew that the road before them would be dangerous and difficult. He knew that his men would be tempted to abandon their quest and return to Spain.
As soon as Cortez and his men had come ashore and unloaded their provisions, he ordered their entire fleet of eleven ships destroyed. His men stood on the shore and watched as their only possibility of retreat burned and sank. And from that point on, they knew beyond any doubt there was no return, no turning back. Nothing lay behind them but empty ocean.
- Their only option was to go forward, to conquer or die.
Not so in marriage — DIVORCE
Barna research ,
- Outside the church 34%.
- In the church 33%
- Baptists lead the nation’s major denominations in divorce rates at 29%.
- Protestant churches overall is at 25%.
- Hosea - Means Salvation
- His name is realeted with Joshua & Jesus
- The same name as Israel’s last King
- Written to a Northern Kingdom of Israel
- His ministry spanned the reigns of the last six kings of Israel
- On the brink of disaster.
- Outwardly a time of prosperity and growth
- Inwardly, moral corruption and spiritual adultery
- Israel involved with idols
- Baal - Means “lord” or “husband”
- Hosea was instructed to marry Gomer 1:2— “complete”
- A prostitute, adulterous women
- Illustrating Israel’s unfaithfulness and the faithfulness of God.
- Boy - Jezreel 1:4 — God Scatters
- Girl - Lo-Ruhamah, 1:6 - No Mercy
- Boy - Lo-Ammi 1:9 - Not my people
- Infidelity - Unfaithfulness - (Cheater)
- Falling in love with someone whom you do not belong too.
- The most serious violation of marriage is abuse
- Adultery is part of that abuse
Signs of Infidelity
Dr. Robert Huizenga author and holds a Doctorate of Ministry in Marriage & Family Therapy
1, Strong attraction/attachment to another person
2. Caused by close association to the other person
3. Wanting to spend time away from their spouse.
- Judgment of the Lord - Ch/ 9-10
- Hosea’s Message:
• God hates the sins of His people
• Judgment is certain;
• His God’s love is certain
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
Fallow ground—once plowed, but now lying waste—must be tilled (broken up) with a sharp plow in order to make the soil ready for seed and, ultimately, fruitful and productive.
- Israel had forsaken Him
- Replacing Him with other Gods
Returning to Faithfulness.
• Seek Righteousness & Holiness through obedience to His Word.
• Accept God’s mercy and forgive those who have wronged you.
• Allow God to "plow up" the hardened ground of your hearts, especially in those areas where you have long neglected His will.
• Grieve over your sins.
• Ponder the consequences of sin that you are experiencing.
• Accept responsibility by admitting you have brought these consequences upon yourself.
• Make seeking God your highest pursuit.
- Has there ever been a time in your life as a Christian when you walked more closely with the Lord than you are walking right now?
- If yes, there are consequences you have or will experience as a result of this loss of intimacy with God?
- Burn your ships behind you and go forward with the Lord
- Repent and return to Faithfulness