Summary: Every believer has the promised hope of living forever in Heaven. “Since we have been raised to new life with Christ, we should set our sights on the realities of heaven and let heaven fill our thoughts.”
REVELATION 2012: #10 – THE HOPE OF HEAVEN
INTRO TO TOPIC:
Before we talk about what Heaven is like, let’s talk about what Heaven is NOT like:
It’s not a place in the clouds populated by little naked fat babies with wings, people in white dresses playing harps and eating Philly Cream Cheese!
“1 Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know." 5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:1-6).
QUOTE: “If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” (C.S. Lewis).
THE BIG IDEA: Every believer has the promised hope of living forever in Heaven. “Since we have been raised to new life with Christ, we should set our sights on the realities of heaven and let heaven fill our thoughts.” (Col. 3:1-2, NLT).
1. THE HOLY CITY: NEW JERUSALEM: Revelation 21
“Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. (v. 1).
• Sea is what separates people and nations. No more sea/separation in Heaven.
Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (v. 2).
• Heaven is built by God and it comes down to us.
And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful." And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.” (v. 3-6).
• Believers will live together with God, enjoying sweet fellowship with Him, face to face.
• In Heaven, God will wipe away every tear from our eyes.
• There will be no more sorrow, crying or death. Death was never meant to be a part of life.
• Now we cry when people we love die. God says, “I will make all things NEW!”
• No more pain. Now we experience pain and suffering, the consequences of sin.
• People in the world drink from the toilet of religion or perversion.