Summary: In Revelation 3:14-22, Jesus challenges the Laodicean Church to be hot or be cold, not lukewarm. He speaks those same words to us today
REVELATION 2012: #3 – BE HOT OR BE COLD!
REVIEW: Over the past couple of weeks, we have been studying the Book of Revelation.
• In chapter one, we saw John in exile on Patmos receive a vision of Jesus.
• In chapters 2-3, we saw the first six letters that Jesus wrote to seven churches in Asia.
• Themes we have discovered in Revelation: Jesus, His second coming, and worship.
THE BIG IDEA: In Revelation 3:14-22, Jesus challenges the Laodicean Church to be hot or be cold, not lukewarm. He speaks those same words to us today.
A REVELATION OF JESUS:
“14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, 'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
• The first thing Jesus wants to reveal to Him is about His nature – Faithful & True!
• Jesus the “Amen!” Can I get a witness here today? How about a hearty amen?
• DISCUSS: Liza watching Whitney Houston’s funeral yesterday in a black church!
• Preach it: Jesus is faithful and true, the first-born from the dead, resurrection and the life.
• The Beginning = Originator or Ruler of God’s creation – the Lord God Almighty!
• Of the first six churches, some were good, some stink, some were in-between.
• This is the worst church yet. Jesus had nothing good to say about them.
BE HOT OR BE COLD:
15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
• Lukewarm: having or showing little zeal or enthusiasm; indifferent
• Some people say that when Jesus said be hot or be cold, both of those are useful: Hot and cold water are both refreshing. But I want to look at it from a different perspective:
• God wants us to be hot for Him – on-fire Christians. Like the planet Mercury, that is closest in its revolution around the sun, we need to be close to Jesus to be hot for him.
• The planet Pluto (actually lost its planet status!) is far away from the sun and is cold.
• Jesus said, “He he who is filthy, let him be filthy still… he who is holy, let him be holy still. And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me…” (Rev. 22:11-12).
• So you have a choice – be hot or be cold for Jesus – just don’t be lukewarm!
• Lukewarm water is good for nothing. Toilet water is lukewarm. This is the vomit zone!
• There’s nothing worse than a lukewarm cup of coffee. Disgusting!
A LOOK AT THE THREE SEATS – WHICH ONE ARE YOU IN?
• The Cold Seat: Worldly and Rebellious
• The Lukewarm Seat: Religious and Compromising
• The Hot Seat: Radical and Committed
• Cold = Worldly: Those who are sinners, they don’t know God or care about God.
• Lukewarm = Religious: Those who go to church, read their Bibles and pray (sometimes).
• Hot = Radically saved: These are the overcomers who are on-fire for Jesus.