Summary: We have journeyed through Revelation. Today, we conclude this topic by giving you an eagle’s eye overview of the entire book of Revelation, which is all about Jesus.
REVELATION 2012: #9 – AN EAGLE’S EYE OVERVIEW OF REVELATION
THE BIG IDEA:
We have journeyed through Revelation. Today, we conclude this topic by giving you an eagle’s eye overview of the entire book of Revelation, which is all about Jesus.
1. THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST
i. “Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.” (1:3). There is a blessing to those who read and obey Revelation.
2. JESUS IS IN HIS CHURCHES
i. “Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.” (2:4). Christianity is first of all about a personal relationship with Jesus.
3. JESUS SPEAKS TO HIS CHURCHES
i. “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” (3:20). Jesus passionately seeks a personal relationship with you!
4. GOD OUR POWERFUL CREATOR ENTHRONED
i. “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.” (4:11). One of the main themes of Revelation is WORSHIP.
5. JESUS IS OUR LOVING REDEEMER
i. “saying with a loud voice: "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain To receive power and riches and wisdom, And strength and honor and glory and blessing!” (5:12). Jesus is the one who died on the Cross for our sins.
6. JESUS OPENS THE SEVEN SEALS
i. “For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?” (6:17). Today, we’re living in grace, but one day Jesus will come as judge.
7. JESUS WILL SAVE COUNTLESS MULTITUDES
i. “Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.” (7:15). One day, the multitude will worship Jesus before His throne.
8. JESUS OUR GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS
i. “And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel's hand.” (8:4). God answers prayer!
9. SEVEN TRUMPETS OF GOD’S WRATH
i. “But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols…” (9:20). Even on this day, sinful mankind does not repent.
10. THE ANGEL AND THE BOOK
i. “Then I took the little book out of the angel's hand and ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. But when I had eaten it, my stomach became bitter.” (10:10). God’s Word promises blessings to believers but judgment and wrath to those who reject Jesus as Saviour and Lord.
11. THE TWO WITNESSES OF JESUS
i. “Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"” (11:15). Right now we are witnesses for Jesus on the Earth. He is King forever!
12. ISRAEL, JESUS AND THE DEVIL
i. “She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne.” (12:5). The devil tried to kill Jesus but couldn’t, so now he persecutes the church.
13. TWO BEASTS AND THE MARK
The Sea Beast: “Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name.” (Revelation 13:1).
• The Sea Beast = worldly political powers that persecute the church (v.7); ‘antichrist’.
The Land Beast: “Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon.” (Rev. 13:11).
• The Land Beast = the false religions and philosophies of the world.
• This beast is also called the ‘false prophet’ (see Revelation 19:20).
• Parallel passage: “Many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.” (Matt. 24:11).
• The Bible says there will be MANY antichrists as well: “Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.” (1 John 2:18).
• These two beasts together represent all political and religious persecution of the church.
The Mark of the Beast: “He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” (Rev. 13:16-17).