Summary: When tragedy struck the saints, it is to prove that we are standing on solid ground. Let us see the seven lessons to reverse tragedy into victory.
REVERSING TRAGEDY INTO OPPORTUNITY
2Ki 4:1 The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.
2Ki 4:2 Elisha replied to her, How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house? Your servant has nothing there at all, she said, except a little oil.
2Ki 4:3 Elisha said, Go round and ask all your neighbours for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few.
2Ki 4:4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.
2Ki 4:5 She left him and afterwards shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring.
2Ki 4:6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, Bring me another one. But he replied, There is not a jar left. Then the oil stopped flowing.
2Ki 4:7 She went and told the man of God, and he said, Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left.
The widow of a minister on the above text is facing a desperate situation: the agony of husband’s death, the large amount of loan and the possibility of loosing her 2 boys to the lender. He came to Prophet Elisha for advice and she found that she can reverse her tragedy into miracle. Let us see the seven lessons to transform tragedy into victory.
I. TRAGEDY HAPPENS TO EVERY ONE – BE PREPARED FOR IT! - V1
• Don’t blame God
• Don’t blame your self
• Don’t blame anything or anyone
II. GOD CAN USE LITTLE THINGS TO START GREAT THINGS. - USE IT! -V2
• God can use small ability
• God can use little opportunity
• God can use little property
III. IT REQUIRED EMPTY VESSELS BEFORE THE POURING OF BLESSINGS - DRAIN IT! V.3
• Empty your self with pride
• Empty your self of bitterness and anger
• Empty your self with sin
IV. THE SIZE OF OUR BLESSING DEFENDS ON OUR VISION OF FAITH - (EXPAND IT! V 3
• Keep believing on great things
• Keep acting for great things
• Keep preparing for great things
V. THE WAY TO BE FILLED IS TO FILL THE NEED OF SOMEBODY ELSE - POUR IT! V4-5
• Pour out your heart of compassion
• Pour out hands of service
• Pour out your tears of prayer
VI. THE SPRING OF ANNOINTING WILL CEASE IF WE STOP FINDING ONOTHER EMPTY VESSELS - SHARE IT! V6
• Keep the anointing by worship (Keep a hungry heart for God)
• Keep the anointing by fellowship (Keep a loving heart for brethren)
• Keep the anointing by discipleship ( Keep a thirsty soul for the Word of God)
• Keep the anointing by ministry ( Keep an available hands for service)
• Keep the anointing by evangelism ( Keep reaching for empty souls for God)
VII. HARD WORK AND PRODUCTIVITY IS PART GOD’S PLAN – DO IT! V 7
• Be passionate spiritually
• Be productive economically
When tragedy struck the saints, it is to prove that we are standing on solid ground. Let us use this opportunity to give glory to foundation of our lives – Jesus Christ.