Summary: Our highest calling as Christians is to be with Jesus. When we lose our passion for Jesus, and interest in the Kingdom of God, we need a personal revival.
REVIVAL #3 – RETURNING TO OUR FIRST LOVE
INTRO: For the past few weeks, we’ve been considering the topics of healing and revival.
• Is this as good as it gets? I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of the usual.
• I want to see more of God in my life, my ministry, and our church.
• We need a revival – where God revives us, so we are set free to rejoice in Him!
• How do we know we need a revival? When our joy is gone. God wants us full of joy!
THE CALL OF JESUS:
“And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons.” (Mark 3:13-15 (quickview) ).
THE BIG IDEA: Our highest calling as Christians is to be with Jesus. When we lose our passion for Jesus, and interest in the Kingdom of God, we need a personal revival.
KEY TEXT: This is a letter that Jesus wrote to a church in the first century.
“14 And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ’These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ’I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—
• The first thing we learn here is that there’s no such thing as a lukewarm Christian!
• If you’re lukewarm, then you’re a lukewarm sinner, because you’re in the vomit zone.
• How do we know we need revival? When we become satisfied with where we’re at.
18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
• What does Jesus encourage us to do? Buy gold (the kingdom of God is a treasure)
• Repent (confess our sins to God, turn from them, and be clothed with His righteousness)
• Pray for spiritual insight.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelation 3:14-22 (quickview) ).
• This is not a message of condemnation, but of love. “As many as I love, I rebuke…”
• Jesus is standing at the door of our hearts and knocking – He wants to come in!
THREE THINGS WE NEED TO DO TO GET READY FOR REVIVAL!
1. RETURN TO OUR FIRST LOVE: