Summary: God is raising up the prophetic generation that Joel prophesied about. God’s desire is that the church would be a prophetic people who hear His voice, and proclaim His living word to others. When we do this, we will see people encouraged and comforted.
REVIVAL #5: SUPERNATURAL MINISTRY SCHOOL: THE EXTREME PROPHETIC
KEY TEXT: “After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, "Come up here.” (Rev. 4:1).
“And it shall come to pass in the last days that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.” (Joel 2:28).
THE BIG IDEA: God is raising up the prophetic generation that Joel prophesied about. God’s desire is that the church would be a prophetic people who hear His voice, and proclaim His living word to others. When we do this, we will see people encouraged, comforted, and set free.
I. THE BASICS OF PROPHECY:
1. PROPHECY REVEALS JESUS TO US – IT’S ABOUT KNOWING HIM MORE.
“That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.” (Ephesians 1:17).
“Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” (Revelation 19:10).
• Prophecy reveals our Heavenly Father’s heart to us.
2. PROPHETIC GIFTS BLESS AND BUILD UP THE CHURCH.
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant…But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all…But earnestly desire the best gifts.” (1 Corinthians 12:1,7,31).
• God wants us to desire prophecy = be zealous for, pursue eagerly or intensely.
3. THE MOTIVATION FOR PROPHECY MUST BE LOVE:
“And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” (1 Cor. 13:2).
4. PROPHECY IS TO ENCOURAGE AND COMFORT PEOPLE:
“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy…But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.” (1 Cor. 14:1,3).
• The purpose of prophecy: Edification, Exhortation and Comfort:
• Edification: building up, promoting another’s growth; Exhortation: encouragement
5. PROPHECY WILL DRAW UNBELIEVERS TO THE LORD: Prophetic Evangelism
“But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced (brought to light; exposed) by all, he is convicted by all. And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.” (1 Cor. 14:24-25).
• Reveals the secrets of their heart; causes them to worship God and declare God is real.
6. ALL CAN PROPHESY SO WE CAN LEARN AND BE ENCOURAGED:
“For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.” (1 Corinthians 14:31).
• Prophecy is a gift that all Christians can learn to operate in.
II. HOW TO GIVE A PROPHETIC WORD:
• Always ask God for permission to speak, and ask the person that the word is for, too
• Walk in love towards others - this must be our motivation
• Avoid negativity - prophecy is to build up, encourage and comfort