Revival is more an Old Testament concept. Out of the 16 times that the word “revive,”
is used in the scripture, 14 of those occurrences are in the Old Testament.
The word means to live and to have life; to remain alive and to sustain life; to be quickened from sickness, discouragement, faintness, or death; to be restored to life or health, to cause to grow.
Revival suggests the idea of Living; the idea of Lasting; and the idea of Lifting.
A Heartbroken Jacob experienced revival in Gen 45:27, “And they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said unto them: and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived.”
A Helpless Samson experienced revival in Judges 15:19 “God clave an hollow place that was in the jaw, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came, and he revived.”
A Hapless, Son experienced revival in 1 Kings 17:22 “the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him, and he revived.”
A Hopeless Soldier in 2 Kings 13:21 “it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.”
I. The Season Of Revival In This Psalm
A. The Season Of Revival Is When the Lord Magnifies His Favour -
1. LORD, thou hast been favourable unto thy land: thou hast brought back the captivity of Jacob
“favourable” means to be pleased with, to satisfy a debt, to be accepted or acceptable,
The Lord Is Showing
1. His Acceptance Of His People - 1 LORD, thou hast been favourable unto thy land
2. His Affection For His People - thou hast brought back the captivity of Jacob
3. His Authority To His People -
2 Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people, thou hast covered all their sin. Selah
B. The Season Of Revival Is When the Lord Manifests His Forgiveness
2 Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people, thou hast covered all their sin. Selah.
1. The Cleansing Associated With Forgiveness - Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people
2. The Covering Associated With Forgiveness - “covered” means to fill up the hollows.
Sin had left them empty. God can fill those void and empty places.
3. The Consideration Associated With Forgiveness - “selah” means that as this song was sung, they would pause for effect, allowing the hearer to consider what they had just heard.
C. The Season Of Revival Is When the Lord Moves from His Fierceness
3 Thou hast taken away all thy wrath: thou hast turned thyself from the fierceness of thine anger
“fierceness” suggests a sore displeasure and the burning of anger.
1. The Burning Of God’s Anger Has Ceased - 3 Thou hast taken away all thy wrath: thou hast turned thyself from the fierceness of thine anger.
2. But The Burden Of God’s Anger Has Continued - 4 Turn us, O God of our salvation, and cause thine anger toward us to cease. 5 Wilt thou be angry with us for ever? wilt thou draw out thine anger to all generations? - God, you have turned; now turn us