Summary: This sermon covers 6 things I need for a revival in my life
Sun. July 11/93 I Co. 1 & Ps. 85
REVIVAL IS LIFE
- Are you happy with the way things are with you?
- Do you have enough of what you want?
- What would it take to make you content?
- How about the things of the Lord, is it good?
- Are we as a church where we should be?
- What would it take to bring us to the point that we should be?
- All of these questions could be answered in one
- I Cor. 1:1-9 of what we have in Christ
1 Corinthians 1:1-9 (KJV)
Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Next two verses everything changes (v.10-11)
1 Corinthians 1:10-11 (KJV)
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
- These are talking about the group, lets take
it to the 1st person (personally)
- v.10 - (divisions)
Having a double standard for myself
- v.11 - (contentions)
a variance, struggle, warfare that is going on.
Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
- This is where v. 27-28 come in.
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
- God works in unexpected ways.
- All the way through scripture we see this happening
- Joseph -- Gideon -- David -- Nehimah
-- John The Baptist -- Paul
- Not only with individuals but groups of people
-- Israel -- Disciples
- Outside of Scriptures
- Ex. THE WELSH REVIVAL