Summary: Overcoming obstacles in search of revival
2 Kings 12 Outline
Last week we closed with saying we do not want to follow Israel’s example in failed revival.
What impedes revival? What did Israel do wrong? By God’s grace, What can we do differently?
1. Not Following God Faithfully.
Joash had an uncommitted faith in God. When his mentor died, his morals declined.
1) 2 Chron. 24:17-18 Joash turned from God and served the false idols of his day.
2) Kids are not leaving “their” faith. They never had the faith of their fathers.
3) No problem with being a committed follower. The problem is we have uncommitted followers.
4) A strong and faithful church is made up of strong and faithful members.
5) Ye of Little faith
a) Matthew 6:30 Fear of earthly anxieties. (Clothing/food)
b) Matthew 8:26 Fear of our environment. (Storm at sea)
c) Matthew 14:31 Fear of doubting Jesus. (Come to me-walking on water)
d) Matthew 16:8 Fear of not understanding Jesus. (The leaven of the Pharisee)
2. Giving away God’s Gifts
Joash gave away all the things dedicated (כָּל־הַקֳּדָשִׁ֡ים )to God.
1) Hazael stopped fighting against God’s people when they quit using God’s gifts.
2) We can go through our time with no problems if we witnessing about Jesus Christ.
3) Matt. 25:14-30 God will let our talents/gifts to be taken away if we do not use them.
3. Safeguarding Sinful Strongholds against God
1) 2Kings 12:3 Not taking down the high places. Allowing God some lordship, but not total.
2) Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. Do you love Him enough to turn from sin?
3) 2 Cor. 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God for the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself (ὕψωμα ἐπαιρόμενον)against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
4) Ask Jesus for help in pulling down the sinful strongholds and high places in your life.
4. Minimizing God’s Message
God’s people cannot prosper without obedience to God’s Word.
1) 2 Chron. 24:19 It is in God’s mercy that He sends us His message.
2) 2 Chron. 24:20a We cannot bear fruit if we do not listen and obey God’s Word.
3) 2 Chron. 24:20b If we leave God, He will let us leave. (Adam and Eve went out from presence of the Lord) (כִּֽי־עֲזַבְתֶּ֥ם אֶת־יְהוָ֖ה וַיַּֽעֲזֹ֥ב אֶתְכֶֽם )
Close: To gain real revival we must have real repentance.
We need to:
1) Follow God Faithfully
2) Use God’s Gifts for His service
3) Pull down strongholds in our own individual lives
4) Maximize Gods Message in our lives.
God bless each of you this week as you live out this Word from God today.