Summary: A drama for children: Rice Paper
(A suitable text, John 6: 25-59)
Theme: Growing to be like Jesus.
1. To encourage the children to grow to be like Jesus.
2. To encourage the children to read and listen to stories about Jesus.
Materials: A small decorated box to hold the following items.
A small quantity of uncooked rice.
Rice paper (a wallet of cigarette paper )
A Bible with rice paper pages.
1. After the children are seated and greetings exchanged I bring out my box with all the various pieces of rice for show and tell.
2. Show the children the uncooked rice. Talk about the rice.
“Mum and dad would have some uncooked rice in their kitchen. When it’s cooked it becomes soft and white, and ready to eat. Rice is a great food, it gives us energy to walk, run and play. Rice helps us to grow in strength and health.”
3. Proceed to the rice bubbles and engage the children with a couple of quick questions.
“Another way we can eat rice, is to eat rice bubbles.”
“Put your hand up if you like to eat rice bubbles?”
“Do your rice bubbles go snap, crackle and pop?”
“Rice bubbles helps us to grow in strength and health.”
4. Proceed to the rice cracker.
“Some people like to eat this large rice cracker. It is also made from rice.”
“Rice crackers can help us to grow in strength and health.”
5. Proceed to the rice paper. Pull out a sheet of rice paper from the wallet of cigarette paper.
“This rice paper is also made from rice just like the rice cracker and rice bubbles. It is made from rice, so you can eat it if you were hungry. But it is so small; you won’t be getting much strength and health from this small piece of rice.”
6. Proceed to the Bible
“Here is a lot of food. This Bible is made from rice. All the pages are made from rice. There is enough food here for you and me. There is enough food here for us to grow in strength and health.”
“I don’t think that God wanted us to eat the Bible with our teeth, but to eat it with our ears and our eyes. Every time we listen to a story about Jesus, or read a story about Jesus;
we grow to be like Jesus,
we grow to love each other,
we grow to care for each other,
we grow in strength and health,
we grow to be like Jesus.
This Bible really is a book of food.”
7. Conclude with prayer: “Our Father in heaven, thank you for the Bible which really is a book of food. Help us everyday to listen to stories of Jesus so that we can grow in strength and health, to grow to be like Jesus. Amen.”