Summary: Since God doesn't want us to go to hell, He's put up roadblocks to turn us back from that terrible place. We look at 4 roadblocks God has set up so we won't go to hell.
ROADBLOCKS ON THE
ROAD TO HELL
2 Pet. 3:9
1. The Cajun, Boudreau, died and went to hell. The devil came around and found him happy. “Why are you happy?” “I’m from southern Louisiana, and it’s hot there. I like it hot.”
2. The devil turned up the temperature gauge and looked in on Boudreau. He was whistling & singing. The devil couldn’t stand it, so he turned it up to the hottest setting – flames leaping up all around.
3. “How do you like it now?” “It’s fine! “I’m from southern Louisiana, and I’m used to it being steaming hot!”
4. The devil couldn’t stand that, so he turned the thermostat on freezing. Ice, sleet, & snow were everywhere.
5. The devil found Boudreau dancing and kicking his heels with utter joy. “Why are you so happy, Boudreau?”
6. Boudreau pointed to the frozen surroundings; “The New Orleans’ Saints must have won the Super Bowl!”
1. GOD DOESN’T WANT ANYONE TO GO TO HELL.
“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” 2 Pet. 3:9.
2. WHY DOES IT MATTER? BECAUSE HELL IS SO BAD, WE MUST DO WHATEVER IT TAKES NOT TO GO THERE.
Hear what Jesus says in Mark 9:43-48;
43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell….45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell….47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire— 48 where ‘Their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’
1. SINCE GOD DOESN’T WANT US TO GO TO HELL, HE’S SET UP ROADBLOCKS… to stop us, to arrest our attention, to get us to turn around.
2. This morning I would like us to look at four of those roadblocks that God had put in the road that leads to hell.
3. The title of this message is, “Roadblocks on the Road to Hell.”
I. ROADBLOCK 1: GOD’S WORD/ GOSPEL
A. GOD’S WRITTEN WORD
1. The first roadblock for us to consider is the roadblock of God’s Word.
2. “Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You” Ps. 119:11.
3. “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work” 2 Tim. 3:16.
4. God’s Word has been given to show us right from wrong and how to find salvation.
B. GOD’S WORD IN NATURE
1. “What about the people in isolated jungle areas who never got to read the Bible or people who lived long ago: what will happen to them?”