Summary: Paul encourages the church by declaring he is "... not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ". Would Christians today be so bold to make the same declaration?
Romans, Part 2
- Previously, we discussed Paul being a servant to Christ … as we must be
- We examined that the GRACE provided by Christ is the key to church mission
- IMP APP: The only way to overcome is through Christ; this book strengthens
- If we will study and meditate on it, we shall be strengthened for the word
- Stand and read Romans 1:14-17 / Pray
Point 1 – We too are obligated!
- Why is Paul obligated?
-- Because of what Christ has done
-- Because of whom he was before Jesus called him
-- Because of where Jesus has taken him in his life through his obedience
- The same Jesus that called Paul is the same Jesus that calls you and I today
-- We are obligated to go and to tell everyone that we meet
-- We must be willing to be His servant and be bonded to the Master (Rom 1:1)
- Romans 8:12-13, “Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.”
- The Gospel is to be preached to everyone
-- All classes, all races, all sexes … to ALL OF CREATION!!
-- Mark 16:15, “He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.”
-- There is none that are to left out when it comes to God’s Word
- TRANS: How do you view the Gospel and its importance and power?
Point 2 – Not ashamed
- Quote by Joseph Curnow (blogger from “Answers in Genesis”):
“When the church first started, the disciples showed boldness in preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to all peoples, unapologetically and without compromise. Boldness was considered incorrect in the day and time of the disciples and that situation has not changed.
Parallel the world of the early church and the United States today. Both have an inclusion of all religions and nationalities. Sin was widespread in the past as it is now. There’s something different today in the world we live in. We as Christians have for a long time, stood on the sidelines. It’s time to ask God for that same courage the disciples of the early church had.”
- Are we ashamed of the Gospel or are we encouraged to preach it?
- It’s not a rebuke -- it’s an opened ended challenge to get SERIOUS about God
- We honestly have to examine our motives and reflect against Christ’s teaching
- Gentile is defined as: latin origin (gentilis), which means belonging to a particular clan or tribe – referring specifically to non-Israelite peoples or nations
- The message is first for the Jew (remember there are Jews in the church in Rome)
- Then the message is for the Gentile (this is you and I and all those who’d hear)
- IMP: The Word of God is for God’s ENTIRE creation; no segregation
- It is the power of God FOR the salvation of everyone who believes
- The Bible shows the Gospel and it’s the most important item we have to focus on
-- Nothing else will bring people to Christ; nothing else directs us to live
-- Nothing else convicts people of their need to change but God’s word
-- It is the ONLY thing we have, and we must be in it and proclaiming it
- Re-read verse 17
- “For in the Gospel a righteousness from God is revealed”:
-- First it is revealed in the creation that surrounds us (perfect – Garden)
-- Then, it is revealed in the Son that was given to you and I (holy and exalted)
-- Finally, it is revealed in the words inspired by God and given to us to study
- IMP: Any other revelation not backed up in Scripture is not from God
-- Includes worldly acceptance, definitions, rules, guidance, etc.
-- When Paul says “he is not ashamed of the Gospel”; it means that it governs everything that he teaches, believes, lives – and he exhorts us to do the same!
- APP: Simply stated, if the Bible is not what’s being preached it is not from God
-- How shall we live? Romans 4:3, “What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
-- False preachers, teachers, etc. – if Christ is not at the center then it has no power
-- Expound on giving credibility/listening to false teachers …
- “A righteousness that is by faith from first to last”:
-- From the beginning of creation to the end, the Lord is the constant for us