Summary: Concluding Chapter 8 Paul discusses HOW believers can witness for Christ; simply by being obedient and willing to take a stand for Jesus.
Romans, Part 27
- Living for God is a command that we each must follow, totally, and completely
- It is not open for debate, and is something we must know that we can do it
- Tonight, we are going to conclude Chapter 8 and talk about the “HOW”
- Stand and read Romans 8:31-39 / Pray
Point 1 – How can we be bold? (31-37)
- If the Lord is on your side, how can we be afraid of what might happen?
-- Acts 1:8 tells us that power will be given by Jesus to do the work ahead
-- It is not a matter of when we will be called, but responding to the call now
- Step back for a moment to understand our mission and calling:
- 1. Mission of the church: Matthew 28:16-20, “Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
- 2. Mission of the pastor: 1 Peter 5:1-4, “To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.”
- 3. Mission of the church people: The mission of the church is, in reality, a continuation of Christ's earthly ministry (John 14:12, “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”).
The Apostle Paul later confirmed that the ministry of bringing people to God has been imparted to all those who have been brought to Him (the church). He wrote, "God... has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation" (2 Cor. 5:18). It is the purpose of every believer, not only pastors and clergymen, to bring souls to Jesus Christ.
- With this knowledge, we must understand that our calling is now and relevant
- In everything that we do we must be willing to obey and to GO telling others
- Paul’s encouragement is to the Gentile here to encourage them to obey God
- It is a calling to get out, to go find the lost, and bring them to the cross of Christ
- Re-read v34-37
- If God is not condemning us after salvation, what other applause do we need?
- Nothing can separate you and I from the love of Christ; because God is love!
- 1 John 4:16, “God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.”
- Not even in the tough times can we drawn away from God’s love for us
- And in this knowledge, we must stand up tall – put on the full armor (Eph 6)
- We must be able to walk tall in the name of Christ and profess Him to all
- V36 = Psalm 44:22 “Yet for your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
-- Even as David sang in song that he would offer his own life as a sheep
-- We must be willing to do the same understanding that God is the one in control
- TRANS: If God is in control, what do you and I have to fear?
Point 2 – God is life … and life is not about us (37-39)
- We are given power to be MORE THAN conquerors in this life
- We are not to go through life just “getting by”, but standing tall and proud
- There is nothing that can separate us from what God has in store
- Just look at Paul’s testimony to you and I – he is convinced!
-- Not even when he was stoned, shipwrecked, and beaten was he apart from God
-- APP: Even in the difficult times, God was by his side to provide for Him
- This is where we can SHOUT: “My God is strong, and in Him will I trust”