Summary: This sermon examines the second part of the sixth petition of our Lord’s Pattern for Prayer, "And don't let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one", seeking to explore how God helps us not to fall for Satan's schemes.
A PATTERN FOR PRAYER
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!
"If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." (1 Corinthians 10:12-13, NLT)
"And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one." (Matthew 6:13, NLT)
Rick Warren tells of a Pastor that had to go into downtown Santa Ana for a meeting. He was late and ended up parking in a No Parking Zone. He wrote a note to "bribe" the cop and he put it under his windshield wiper... "I’ve circled this block ten times and I have to make this appointment or my heavenly Boss will be upset with me... Remember ` forgive us our sins.’"
When he got back he found a ticket on his car and this note from the Police officer... "I’ve circled this block for ten years. If I don’t give you a ticket, my earthly boss will be upset with me. Remember... `lead us not into temptation’"
We are at present considering this the 6Th petition of our Lord’s Pattern of prayer asking what it means...
Thus far as we have been examining our Lord’s pattern for prayer, OUR LORD HAS FOCUSED OUR ATTENTION ON:
• GOD’S PERSON … “May Your name be kept holy”
• GOD’S PURPOSE … “May Your Kingdom come soon”
• GOD’S PROGRAM … “May Your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven”
• GOD’S PROVISION … “Give us today the food we need”
• GOD’S PARDON … "… and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us."
Then last week our focus was turned to our need for...
• GOD’S PROTECTION ... “And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one.”
As we looked at this petition requesting god’s protection we saw that this was not a prayer
• TO KEEP US OUT OF TRIAL, TESTING OR TROUBLE
Nor was it a prayer
• ASKING GOD NOT TO PLACE US IN A SITUATION WHERE WE CAN BE TEMPTED?
Rather it is a prayer
• ASKING GOD TO HELP US FROM BEING DRAWN OR SUCKED, BY OUR OWN WILL, INTO SINNING
As was suggested last week the NLT captures this meaning by translating the petition … “And don’t let us yield to temptation”
To understand this petition more fully we considered the … THREE ASPECTS OF TEMPTATION
• THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR TEMPTATION
• THE ROUTE OF TEMPTATION (both last week)
• THE RESOURCE IN TEMPTATION (this week)
THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR TEMPTATION
We asked who is to blame when we give in to temptation, remembering that temptation is not a sin (Jesus was tempted, yet He never sinned) …
WE TRY TO BLAME?
BUT ULTIMATELY we need to realise that …