Summary: Saints are to glory in Jesus Christ and in service to His Kingdom not to themselves, idols or to others.
“Saints Glorify the Lord!”
Testimony: Mary Strom
Opening Illustration: Have the congregation pray for me before I speak.
Scripture Verse: Romans 15:17-33
17Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God. 18I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done—19by the power of signs and miracles, through the power of the Spirit. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ. 20It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation. 21Rather, as it is written:
“Those who were not told about him will see,
and those who have not heard will understand.”
22This is why I have often been hindered from coming to you.
23But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to see you, 24I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to visit you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while. 25Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the saints there. 26For Macedonia and Achaia were pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem. 27They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews’ spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings. 28So after I have completed this task and have made sure that they have received this fruit, I will go to Spain and visit you on the way. 29I know that when I come to you, I will come in the full measure of the blessing of Christ.
30I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. 31Pray that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints there, 32so that by God’s will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed. 33The God of peace be with you all. Amen.
Thesis: Saints are to glory in Jesus Christ and in service to His Kingdom not to themselves, idols or to others.
Today we are exploring the thought, “Saints Glorify the Lord.” I did a word search for the term “glory” – on my Bible software and came up with 263 matching references to “glory” in the NIV Bible. I read through these verses and discovered some thoughts about this term glory.
But before I share my insight with you let me read what Webster’s Dictionary says about this term Glory – “1). A. Great honor and admiration won by doing something important or valuable; fame; renown. B. anything bringing this 2). worshipful adoration or praise. 3). the condition of highest achievement, splendor, prosperity. 4). radiant, beauty, splendor; magnificence 5). Heaven or the bliss of Heaven 6). A halo…any circle of light (Webster, page 595).
So what did I discover about this term glory from the Bible:
* I discovered that in many Old Testament references we are told by Scripture to give God the glory that is due His name.
* I discovered that heaven is filled with the glory of God and the angels sing about it.
* I discovered that when God shows up so does His glory.
* I discovered that sin causes the glory of the Lord to depart from an individual’s life and a nation’s life.
* I discovered that many Saints in the Bible saw and beheld the glory of God in their lives.
* I discovered that miracles point to God’s glory and are done to glorify God.
* I discovered that when we produce fruit for the Kingdom of God we in turn glorify God.
* I discovered that those who do good and live righteous lives bring glory to God.
* I discovered that as I grow and mature in my faith I glorify God.
* I discovered that I am promised to share in God’s glory if I choose to suffer for the Kingdom like Jesus did.
* I discovered that the spread of grace brings God glory.
* I discovered that when you experience the glory of God others will see it in your face.
* I discovered that some people are afraid of the glory of the Lord.
* I discovered that we are to do everything for God’s glory.