Summary: He lives but there are scars to remind us of the price paid for our salvation
SCARS OF EASTER
INTRO: 2000 years later & we are still talking, singing about Jesus
1. Movies, TV news, media, magazines newspaper articles politicians
2. He is the Central figure of ALL Human History
a. His crucifixion & Resurrection is the crucial events of
*Some said that our redemption via the crucifixion and resurrection is more marvelous and amazing than creation. Creation was an act of power and wisdom. Salvation is that plus Love, Mercy and Grace
3. Look at an event a week after Jesus’ resurrection
I. Honest Doubts
A. following Sunday Jesus revealed himself to a doubter
1. How would you like to be remembered?
a. man or woman of integrity, faith, benevolence talent
1. How about a doubter? Thomas that is all we remember him for
2. Thomas called Didymus = Not Doubter but twin
3. Jesus rose on a Sunday revealing himself alive several
times to many different people
a. Thomas heard about the resurrection, but boasted he was
from Missouri show me state
1. He has to see to believe, feel the prints of the scars in his hand
even thrust his hand into the cavity of where the spear had gone
during the crucifixion
4. We can be very critical, but not before we do, he had
honest doubts, nothing wrong with honest doubts
a. After all a resurrection isn’t an everyday event
b. Sure Jesus had raise the widow’s son, and Jairus’
daughter and even Lazarus
b. But now He is dead who is going to raise Jesus?
5. This is the most remarkable event in human history
a. Nobody has ever come back from the grave
b. This is either true or the greatest hoax ever perpetrated
6. It is still honest to doubt, but be honest enough to
investigate. to examine the facts
7. The criticism due Thomas is unbelief of not hearing Jesus
a. Thomas had been with Jesus 3 yrs. seen Jesus perform
miracles, including raising the dead, calming the storms
1. He saw Jesus 1st hand dominion over nature & the spiritual realm
b. So when Jesus proclaimed the would rise from the dead
1. Listen to Jesus proclamations Mt 20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify [him]: and the third day he shall rise again.
Mr 9:31 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.
Mr 10:34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Lu 18:33 And they shall scourge [him], and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
2. Even Jesus’ enemies heard Jesus make this boast,
Mt 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
a. They took precautions to stop it, But couldn’t
3. Should have been in the realm of possibilities for Thomas to
c. The key is believing the Words of Jesus , Christ, scripture
1. As Jesus told Martha in Jn 11 believe and you will see the glory
d. That is not blind faith. not stepping out on nothing
1. The word of Christ of God is totally dependable trustworthy
B. Think of all the Witnesses of the Resurrected Lord
1. Thomas who doubted saw & believed, changed his mind
2. The rest of the scared, cowardly disciples who hid the
day of the crucifixion saw & believed
a. The Resurrection changed the disciples for ever
3. 1 Cor. 15:6 tells us over 500 people saw Jesus alive
4. Saul the persecutor, who hated Jesus, Christians
a. Did everything in his power to stop the Christian
movement by imprisonment and death
b. Saw the resurrected Lord, he became the great Apostle
5. If all the witnesses who claimed to have seen Jesus was put
on a witness stand in court to give their testimony for only 15min. It
would go from Mon Morning to Friday evening 129 straight hours
6. Think of the Threat of Death each of these faced & many
actually experience for their testimony of seeing Jesus alive
a. NONE recanted their story, none gave it up even when
tortured and murdered
b. All willingly suffered and died for a LIE?
B. Prophecies & History bear the Resurrection as fact not
1. Hundreds of years in advance Prophets told of one who
would live after dying a agonizing death
Is. 53:10-12 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.