Summary: He lives but there are scars to remind us of the price paid for our salvation
SCARS OF EASTER
INTRO: 2000 years later & we are still talking, singing about Jesus
1. Movies, TV news, media, magazines newspaper articles politicians
2. He is the Central figure of ALL Human History
a. His crucifixion & Resurrection is the crucial events of
*Some said that our redemption via the crucifixion and resurrection is more marvelous and amazing than creation. Creation was an act of power and wisdom. Salvation is that plus Love, Mercy and Grace
3. Look at an event a week after Jesus’ resurrection
I. Honest Doubts
A. following Sunday Jesus revealed himself to a doubter
1. How would you like to be remembered?
a. man or woman of integrity, faith, benevolence talent
1. How about a doubter? Thomas that is all we remember him for
2. Thomas called Didymus = Not Doubter but twin
3. Jesus rose on a Sunday revealing himself alive several
times to many different people
a. Thomas heard about the resurrection, but boasted he was
from Missouri show me state
1. He has to see to believe, feel the prints of the scars in his hand
even thrust his hand into the cavity of where the spear had gone
during the crucifixion
4. We can be very critical, but not before we do, he had
honest doubts, nothing wrong with honest doubts
a. After all a resurrection isn’t an everyday event
b. Sure Jesus had raise the widow’s son, and Jairus’
daughter and even Lazarus
b. But now He is dead who is going to raise Jesus?
5. This is the most remarkable event in human history
a. Nobody has ever come back from the grave
b. This is either true or the greatest hoax ever perpetrated
6. It is still honest to doubt, but be honest enough to
investigate. to examine the facts
7. The criticism due Thomas is unbelief of not hearing Jesus
a. Thomas had been with Jesus 3 yrs. seen Jesus perform
miracles, including raising the dead, calming the storms
1. He saw Jesus 1st hand dominion over nature & the spiritual realm
b. So when Jesus proclaimed the would rise from the dead
1. Listen to Jesus proclamations Mt 20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify [him]: and the third day he shall rise again.
Mr 9:31 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.
Mr 10:34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Lu 18:33 And they shall scourge [him], and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
2. Even Jesus’ enemies heard Jesus make this boast,
Mt 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
a. They took precautions to stop it, But couldn’t
3. Should have been in the realm of possibilities for Thomas to
c. The key is believing the Words of Jesus , Christ, scripture
1. As Jesus told Martha in Jn 11 believe and you will see the glory
d. That is not blind faith. not stepping out on nothing