Summary: When choosing a board to lead your church make sure they come under the scrutiny of Gods Word.
Scriptural Qualifications For Leadership
1Timothy 3: 8-10 Rev. R. B. Hughes
2. To give spiritual leaders a checkpoint for their own spiritual lives.
1Cor. 9:27 ... "I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly after I preach to
others I myself should be disqualified."
* What a tragedy this can be.
Scriptural Qualification Of Church Leaders
1. Men of dignity, serious (V. 8a)
- feet on the ground
a. Worthy of respect.
- How get it? ... become truly spiritual men
- If people don’t respect you, they won’t follow you.
* They may like you ... but they won’t necessarily follow you.
* They may not like you ... yet respect you ... still follow you.
b. Person worth imitating .. (follow me as I follow Christ)
c. Serious about their responsibilities.
- Their responsibility ... not themselves.
2. Truthful , Not double tongued (V.8)
*They do not say one thing to one person and something else to another
ILL/ Pastor giving marriage counseling .. brought along assistant
- Husband : Pastor .. you’re so right, you’re so right .... Prayed
- Wife: Pastor ... you’re so right, you’re so right ... Prayed
ASST.: Both can’t be right!!
Pastor: You’re so right, you’re so right ...
Allen Redpath: Passion For Preaching ... test for his words
T Is it TRUE ? ... Must begin here.
H Is it HELPFUL ?
I Is it INSPIRING ?
N Is it NECESSARY ?
K Is it KIND ? .... Love is ....
Board member needs seasoned speech.
Board member .... Constantly represent me & the church
* Buckets of Gas & Water
Listen: You can’t get your words back!!!!!
3. Abstainer (V.8)
- must be put in context
- I understand that scripture teaches moderation
* Jewish people diluted their drinking wine
* This is a qualification I hold to very strongly.
* We are a holiness Church.
Alcohol is a factor in nearly 1/2 of North Americas murders, suicides & accidental deaths.
It claims 25x more lives per year than illegal drugs.
4. Not Greedy For Material (V.8)
- Not a graspy greedy personality
* Church leaders must make decisions about the congregation’s finances.
- If you are greedy it will come out in the board meetings.
- If anything kills me it’s greedy people
We church leaders must not ...
a. Acts as if it’s ours or Churches money
- seen treasurers think it’s there money!
- Thankful for our treasurer
b. Not be careless in money. Flippant.
- sensible & serious
c. Withhold our personal tithe
- Dealing with Gods’ money & robbing Him?
- One of the few I would check for tithe. (Leaders)
5. Biblically Sound (V.9)
* A church leader must ...
a. Living a godly life = "clear conscience"
b. Knowing Gods Word = "hold firmly"
* Result? .... Decisions based on biblical principles.
6. Tested And Proven (V.10)
- Year as a member
Step #1 = Prayer & Worship - Heart for God.
Step #2 = Membership - Heart for the Church.
Step #3 = Ministry - Heart for the people.
Step #4 = Leadership - Heart for the Pastor.
Proven!!! Tested!!! Not a Novice!!!! Not a flash in the pan!!!