Summary: The First Mile is Your Duty; We Are to Walk the Second Mile for Christ.
(Mat 5:38-41) "And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain."
Israel, during the time of Christ, was under Roman rule.
They were their oppressors, and were hated by the Jews.
One of the most hated of Roman laws:
The one that would allow a soldier to force a person to carry his possessions one mile!
Jesus tells them, to carry their bags an EXTRA mile.
The first mile was done grudgingly and reluctantly.
> But Jesus says, go TWO miles!
He is not talking about letting people walk all over you; But He is trying to convey the attitude of a Christian.
Anybody can grudge and complain about their situation...
But, a Christian can use it towards God’s glory!
Consider what a Roman soldier might think if...
A man tells him, he wants to carry his stuff another mile? It will floor him!
Such is the Christian walk today.
We are not merely to live the Christian life; We are to go the extra mile!
Second Mile Christianity
I. The First Mile is Your Duty!
A. We have done that which is our DUTY (Luke 17:7-10).
1. Jesus told of a servant who had worked all day in the field.
> He had spent the entire day, from sunup to sundown working in the field.
2. After a long grueling day the servant heads for home.
> Dirt is caked all over his face and clothes.
> His entire body aches.
> All he can think of is a hot bath, supper and bed.
3. His master, on the other hand, is at home; rested, refreshed, and comfortable.
> He has perhaps had a very calm, uneventful day.
> When the servant walks in his master says to him:
> "Before you sit down to eat, wash up and make my dinner, and after I am full, you can make yourself something" (v. 8).
4. The servant does not get angry.
> He does not complain.
> His master has commanded him, and he must obey.
> After he has fed his master, he does NOT EVEN EXPECT TO BE THANKED.
> He has done that which is his DUTY.
B. (2 Cor 5:14-15) If He died for us, we ought to live for Him.
1. If we REALLY believe the Bible...
> If we really believe that we were destined to a devil’s hell...
> That we deserve to spend eternity in the torments of the damned...
2. If we REALLY believe that Jesus came to this earth to die on the cross, and pay for our sins...
> If we believe that because of the sacrifice of Christ we have been delivered from hellfire...
3. If we REALLY believe these things...
> "Then they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto Him which died for them, and rose again."
4. If you don’t believe these things then you are doomed to the eternal fires of hell.
> Your either in or out! A Saint, or an Ain’t
C. [Romans 12:1] "Your reasonable service!"
1. "I beseech you therefore Brethren, by the mercies of God..."
> ...that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."
2. In light of the facts of the gospel...
> In light of the fact that Jesus died for us to save us from hell and give us eternal life...
> IT IS ONLY REASONABLE THAT WE WOULD WANT TO SERVE GOD!
3. If God compels you to carry His cross one mile, it is your DUTY to do so.