Summary: THIS SERMON IS ABOUT THE SECRETS OF A SUCCESSFUL CHRISTIAN LIFESTYLE AND INCLUDES GIVING , PRAYING. FORGIVING , FASTING , A PURE EYE , LAYING TREASURES IN HEAVEN AND SERVING GOD ALONE AS A SINGLE MASTER
SECRETS OF A SUCCESSFUL CHRISTIAN LIFESTYLE
1. DO NOT GIVE TO OTHERS WITH A DESIRE TO GET THE PRAISE OF MEN . HELP OTHERS WITHOUT SEEKING PUBLICITY AND YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR REWARD FROM GOD . DO NOT BE FILLED WITH PRIDE FOR THE HELP YOU HAVE RENDERED TO OTHERS. DOING ANYTHING FOR THE PRAISE OF MAN IS AN ABOMINATION IN THE SIGHT OF GOD.
"Take care! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give a gift to someone in need, don’t shout about it as the hypocrites do--blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I assure you, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone, don’t tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you." Matthew 6:1-4
" Then he said to them, "You like to look good in public, but God knows your evil hearts. What this world honors is an abomination in the sight of God."Luke 16:15
2. DO NOT PRAY WITH A MOTIVE TO IMPRESS OTHERS . PRAY SECRETLY WITH A TRUE HEART SEEKING TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD. THEN YOUR PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED . FOLLOW THE PATTERN THE LORD HAS GIVEN US FOR PRAYER WHICH INCLUDES THE ELEMENTS OF WORSHIP , SURRENDER , PETITIONS , PARDON FOR SINS AND PROTECTION FROM THE ENEMY.
"And now about prayer. When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I assure you, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered only by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them, because your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him! Pray like this:Our Father in heaven,may your name be honored.May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done here on earth,just as it is in heaven. Give us our food for today,and forgive us our sins,just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation,but deliver us from the evil one." Matthew 6: 5-13
3. FORGIVE THOSE WHO HAVE HURT YOU AND THEN THE LORD WILL BE MERCIFUL TO YOU . IF YOU HAVE BITTERNESS AND UNFORGIVENESS TOWARDS THOSE WHO HAVE DONE EVIL TO YOU THEN THE LORD WILL NOT FORGIVE YOUR SINS AND YOU WILL FACE LIFE WITHOUT GOD’S MERCY.YOUR PRAYERS MAY BE HINDERED WHEN YOU HAVE UNFORGIVENESS IN YOUR HEART.
"If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6: 14-15
" God blesses those who are merciful,for they will be shown mercy." Matthew 5:7
4. DO NOT FAST WITH A MOTIVE OF GETTING PRAISE FROM MAN. FAST SECRETLY WITHOUT MAKING A SHOW OF IT AND THEN THE LORD WILL ACCEPT YOUR FASTING AND REWARD YOU OPENLY.
"And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, who try to look pale and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I assure you, that is the only reward they will ever get. But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face.Then no one will suspect you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in secret. And your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you." Matthew 6: 16-18
5. LAY YOUR TREASURES IN HEAVEN AND YOU WILL ENJOY THEM FOR ALL ETERNITY . DO NOT FOLLOW THE PATTTERN OF THIS WORLD WHICH LIVES ONLY FOR THIS WORLD . INVEST YOUR LIFE FOR ETERNITY . LABOUR FOR THOSE THINGS WHICH BRING ETERNAL REWARD. LIFE ON EARTH IS VERY SHORT COMPARED TO ETERNITY.
"Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves. Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." Matthew 6: 19-21
6.YOUR EYE IS A LAMP FOR YOUR WHOLE BODY. LET YOUR EYE BE PURE AND FOCUSSED ON GOD AND YOUR WHOLE LIFE WILL SHINE . IF YOUR EYE IS EVIL THEN YOUR WHOLE LIFE WILL BE FULL OF DARKNESS.BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ALLOW YOUR EYES TO SEE AND GAZE .