Summary: Many individuals in Scripture received dreams from God that pointed to their potential great service or possibilities. Often these individuals experienced circumstances, for years, which contradicted God’s dream. What steps did they take to hold on & see
SECRETS OF THE DREAM KEEPERS
1. a. "Doctor, I really need your help", I said. "Every night for the past two weeks I’m dreaming about some rats playing football."
b. "Here, take these pills tonight before you go to bed and you will be fine."
c. "But can I take them starting tomorrow?" "Why?" "Because tonight’s the ‘Rat Superbowl’ and I want to see who wins!”
2. I didn’t get much sleep last night, I kept dreaming I was frozen & then dropped off a cliff. I’m absolutely shattered this morning.
3. One night a man woke himself up with a loud "Hello!" to someone in his dream. The next day, he thought the nocturnal outburst was his alone to remember. But just before bed, his wife dryly, "If you see anyone you know tonight, just wave."
4. Some Intrusting Facts about Dreams
a. "Dreamt:" the only English word that ends in "mt"..
b. The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year.
c. Most dreams last only 5 to 20 minutes
d. Scientists say the higher your I.Q., the more you dream.
e. The colder the room you sleep in, the better the chances are that you’ll have a bad dream.
“Listen to my words: “When there is a prophet among you, I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions, I speak to them in dreams” Num. 12:6.
"A dream comes when there are many cares” Eccl. 5:3.
1. Visions and dreams are one of the ways God communicates with his people down through the centuries. Why can’t he just say it to us? Much that surrounds God’s workings is mysterious.
2. Maybe our subconscious can more readily receive than our conscious can "hear" the Spirit speaking. Paul said, "the natural man cannot receive the things of the spirit."
3. It may be that our mind works better in pictures. That might be why God revealed the Book of Revelation to John the revelator in pictures: he could remember them easier.
4. God said, "In the last days, says God, I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh. Your young men will see visions and your old men shall dream dreams...."
5. Visions and dreams are the language of the Holy Spirit. We are made in the image of God; God who "calls the things that be not as though they were." The vast detail and diversity of creation speaks of how mighty is the imagination of God.
6. Tonight we’re going to look at dreams in the Bible and the 5 Secrets of the dream Keepers.
I. THE NATURE OF DREAMS
A. DREAMS IN THE BIBLE
Dreams and visions are very frequent in the Bible:
1. DREAMS OF WARNING
a. Abimelech -- Genesis 20:3, 6; about Sarah
b. Laban -- Genesis 31:10-11, 24; “ Jacob
c. Magi -- Matthew 2:12; Don’t go back to Herod
d. Joseph -- Matthew 2:22-23; beware Archelaus
e. Pontius Pilate’s Wife -- Matthew 27:19
2. DREAMS OF FORETELLING FUTURE
a. Joseph -- Genesis 37:5-10 (2x); stars, wheat bow
b. Cupbearer & Baker -- Genesis 40:9-19
c. Pharaoh -- Genesis 41:1-7 (2x); 2 7 yr. periods
d. Midianite shown destruction by Gideon -- Judges 7:13;
e. Nebuchadnezzar -- Daniel 2:3 (statue);
f. Nebuchadnezzar -- Daniel 4:5 (tree cut down);
g. Dream of the four beasts -- Daniel 7:1-all.