Summary: What is the basis of your security? money? job? religion?
Story about how insecure we Americans feel after 9/11
Office of Homeland Security
1. Introduce idea of Security. Freedom from risk or danger; safety. Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence. We also ought to understand security in terms of who trying to steal our security from us as well as how we conduct our lives in the absence of security.
Feelings vs. reality. Our enemies want us insecure. IT is the basic goal of terrorism.
Security is one of the most basic of Human Needs after Food, Shelter and Clothing.
a. Physical –
i. It is why we have police to stop those who would take our security away.
ii. It is why gold prices go up during times of uncertainty.
iii. It is why we have armies to protect our country
iv. It is why we buy safes and locks and use banks instead of mattresses.
v. It is why we purchase virus detection and firewalls for our computers.
vi. It is why we put alarms on our vehicles and homes.
vii. Is there such a thing as financial security? When can enough be enough?
viii. Is there such a thing as healthcare security? Who can guarantee our health?
ix. How about job security – Is there such a thing?
x. God is able – true security comes only from God. It is fleeting when we try to do it ourselves. But saying “yes” to God, and learning to trust in Him for all things physical can revolutionize our lives.
xi. You men may think you are the providers of your home. But God is the provider…He provided the Lamb to Abraham, He provided manna in the wilderness and streams of water in the desert. He will provide for you:
1. Mt 6:25-26 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?”
2. 1 Tim 6:17-18 “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant or to put their hope in wealth, which is so UNCERTAIN, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides with everything for our enjoyment.
3. Ps. 111:5 “He provides food for those who fear Him.”
4. Phil 4:19 “And my God will meet all of your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
xii. Flagg house
xiii. God alone is able – true security comes only from God. But saying “yes” to God, and learning to trust in Him for all things physical can revolutionize our lives.
b. Emotional – “Emotional security is the foundation of a fulfilling and productive life. It is the key ingredient of self-esteem and self-reliance, and the platform for academic performance, friendship, family bonds, and solid core values for children”
i. A university instructor asked her class, "What has four legs and leaves?" One of the co-eds answered, "My last two boyfriends."
ii. An offended husband was about to run away when his wife said, "Don’t go. You always leave when I need you the most."
iii. Our loved ones need the assurance that we are there for them, not just when the going is good, but through thick and thin, good times and bad