Summary: This is the 4th sermon in the series "Having It All".
Sunday Morning October 11, 2009
Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: Having It All [#4]
2 Peter 1:3 (NIV)
“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”
Everything: Isn’t that an amazing thought? Do you believe the Bible when it says that Jesus Christ arose on the 3rd day? Do you believe the Bible when it says that God created the Heavens and the Earth? If so, then this statement must be true also. Through the power of Christ we can have everything we need for life and godliness. Through Christ we can have peace and quiet. Through Christ we can be perfect. Through Christ we have the Word to lead us, teach us, correct us, etc… Through Christ we can have security.
2 Peter 2:1-5 (NIV)
“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others.”
The enemy is always attacking. One of Satan’s favorite ways to attack us is through churches.
Satan puts spies within congregations so that…
* People are confused. False teachers will teach things that are not consistent with the Word. In fact, they will teach things that literally deny the power of Christ.
* People will destroy one another. The easiest way to tear up a church is to get the people at one another’s throats.
* People will forget their purpose. Christians are to be like Jesus and Jesus came to this earth to seek and save that which is lost. These secret agents of the devil are here to cause us to fight and worry about things that don’t matter.
Yes, the enemy is always attacking; but God knows what the enemy is doing and He has things under control.
1. Protect us.
Regardless of what the enemy is doing, if we will continue to walk in righteousness; God will protect us from these false teachings which cause harm to us.
How do you know the difference between God’s Word and the enemy’s word? Through the power of the Holy Spirit, you have been given the ability to understand the mysteries of the Bible. They are not a mystery to us. Yes, there are things that we do not understand; but that isn’t because we won’t be able to- It’s because we aren’t ready for that truth yet. God will always give you what you need to be able to discern what it true and what isn’t.
2 Peter 2:6-9a (NIV)
“If he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)-- if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials…”
The enemy may have you surrounded. As Arturo says, “You may be stuck at “little d’s” (the devil) playground”. Satan is the father of this world. Everyone around you at work, or in the community, or even at church sometimes may be playing into the devil’s plan; which is to steal, kill, and destroy anything that belongs to God; but God knows how to rescue the godly from these things.
Satan wants you to believe that…
* You are trapped. He wants you to believe that there is no way out.
* You have to conform. If the devil can get you to see the circumstances around you and believe that you are controlled by those circumstances; then he can get you to conform to his ways of thinking and doing things.
* You are wrong. Have you ever begun to doubt yourself? Maybe everyone else is right. Maybe you are just closed minded.
Remember that the Word of God says that He will never leave us or forsake us.